ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.. After a horrendous morning trying to get the car on the transport by myself (made more difficult by the drop springs), and finding out that my trailer hitch was too low (tounge of trailer scraping on ground), and losing my phone (so I couldn't call around for hitch questions or to tell MWS I was running late) I finally got on the road about 1:30 this afternoon. About a 75 Mile drive to Sunnyvale (got lost a couple times-Mapquest SUCKS). My phone was eventually returned by a neighbor who found it on the ground and I was able to have Michael give me better directions to his shop. I finally pulled into MWS parking lot. He was watching for me and we were soon talking shop. Very cool guy and seems really knowledgeable (quite different from the local riff-raff mechanics I've been dealing with). He hooked up his computer and decided that the #2 cylinder was the problem.. not firing at all. I'll list the thing he checked out.

Harness connector.... good
Injector connector... good
PTU connector... good
Getting spark?... good
Coil pack... good
Injector... good
Spark plug.. good

So.. now he theorized that the cylinder was completely bad. So time for a compression check.. This is the first thing he actually charged me for! Most cylinders are at 170, and the worst is like 158.. still very healthy. So the good news is that I shouldn't be looking at an engine swap (very pricey!). The bad news is that he was stumped. So we took it off the transport and he's going to try and diagnose it in the next couple days.

One thing that has me stumped is the compression numbers. When I took it to the dealership after the injector upgrade and ecu swap, they told me that the entire right bank was bad compression. Michael theroized that the orings on the injectors somehow hadn't set correctly at first but with some time had resettled properly?

So.. I shouldn't be looking at an engine swap and I seem to have found a competant mechanic. Just wish he was closer. He has a website for anybody interested... www.mwsmotorsports.com. Hopefully he'll get back to me in couple days and I can be boostin again! My 99 Silverado truck just isn't as fun as the Z!

·
Registered
525 Posts
That's good news, Ben! Sounds like the problem is external (good) rather than internal (pretty bad). The list of possibilities is short - he should have an answer soon.

Be encouraged!

Life for the Z owner out in the boonies is tough, ain't it? These cars are Nissans and they give remarkably good reliable service, but once in awhile we all need to get the help of an artiste. They don't hang on trees.

I never thought of myself as "conservative" in any way.....but the more I enjoy my 90NA and the better service it gives me year after year, the less interested I am in any mods to jinx the good life we have together. I will do exhaust and the pop charger, for sure, but after that...I don't think so.

Good Luck to you on the outcome.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll tell him you said so Joker. I'm sure he'll be flattered. And thanks for the luck Everett, hopefully my artiste will paint me a picture of Z health and speed!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Um, 158 compression on a TT is actually pretty good. Is this a different Z, maybe I'm lost. Glad to hear that you won't have to do an engine swap though :)

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
I doubt that any previous low compression numbers were injector or o-ring related. You can remove the injectors and still get the same compression numbers as with them in. The injectors are located in the intake path and compression numbers are related to issues within the combustion chamber and valve timing. More then likely they just screwed up doing the compression check. Just curious if the low compression cylinder is the one that not firing?

Either way I'm sure that Michael can figure it out.

Post Edited (Jan 18, 5:32am)

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Hey Ben,
Sorry I couldn't meet up with you yesterday (got caught up in a bunch of meetings). Anyways, it sounds like "good" news. Michael will figure out, I'm sure it's nothing too horrible.

Anyhow, as soon as you know when you're going to be in town next, shoot me another e-mail.

MP

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jt.. No, the #2 that he thought was going to be dead is actually at 170! The one at 158 fires fine. Yeah, hopefully he'll figure it out.

Bill.. I'll tell him you said hello and ask about your project car next time I'm over there (hopefully soon picking up a fixed car).

Michael.. I'll let you know man =)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.