ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

<b>Z-Money and Time</b>

1K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  Unknown User 
#1 ·
To All....

I have a 73Z and it seems to me that I'm always working on it in some way... Dumping money in to it for every reason... from newer bumpers to Z emblems...

I spend about $350-400 bucks a month on my car for upgrades to repairs and cleaning... which appears to be never ending. I own the car outright... so the bank has never been an issue... Are you guy's droping the same kind of money and time into your cars?

#4 ·
RE: Z-Money and Time

I've been spending a little more than that. I'm hoping and praying that I'm nearing the end of the cycle, since most of the money has been replacing parts that were origional and lasted 27 years! Hopefully they will last another 27, or at least 5 or 10.

Old cars are always expensive. When I start getting down, I just go and talk to my co-worker who has an old Porsche. That thing sucks up money like you won't believe!

#5 ·

without a doubt. my suspension was suppose to cost under $1000, but with constant unexpected problems it was a different story. plus you have to remember, the car is old, you fix one thing another breaks. but regardless, IMO i would not trade my Z for anything in the world, well except maybe a 911 slantnose turbo.

so dont feel bad about the money, its a pain in the butt..but everything has a cost. =)

#6 ·

I concur, I just got back from the shop having laid down 400 bucks for injector replacement. I would have done the work my self, but I wanted it done right, and right now. She is my daily driver. And every other month I set aside 200-300 for restoration. Its my only vice and only hobby, so I justify it as stress relief!

Joe

#7 ·
<b>This is what my girlfriend calls it!</b>

A never ending money pit! Before I wrecked my last turbo 240z over an 8 month period I dumped over $12K into new floorpans, interior, full body work and repaint and the most expensive part, my turbo engine which had atleast $8K into it. And my new motor was the old motor rebuilt with an addition $2700 put into it. Just think of your outflow of money into the car as a car payment. Do you feel better now?

#8 ·
<b>RE: Z-Money and Time</b>

To All:

Thanks for the replies. I just wasn't sure if my costs were out of line. I would love to replace the doors, fenders, and hatch. I can't see trying to fix them with a layer of bondo because there are so many door dings on them. Except the hatch was slightly backed into with a tall 4x4. Not bad but warrents replacement.

Unexpected costs have become the norm... I'm going down to the Z National's and I decided to replace the front bumper... What started out as a simple issue has grown very quickly. The front end is stock, and I ended up busting 3 bolts to remove the bumper. Busting meaning that I had a 10mm socket on the bolt and I was turning away and snap.... not a really nice sound. So then I decided to remove the back plate in the center of the bumper... snapped off two of the 4 nuts that hold it on.... and all I wanted to do was paint it black. I don't mind this happening until I look at the price of OEM stuff....

Time... Gee... Getting ready for the Z Nationals is looking like a 3 week process... I have cleaned, polished, and waxed everything... except for maybe the brackets that hold the bumpers on...but I still have a week to go... I think the Z is looking pretty darn good...

It was good to hear that others are doing the same stuff... Thanks for all your comments...

It sure is nice having a fun car to drive that looks great.

#9 ·
RE: Too much

Man, I'm a gearhead but this is just a hobby for me. Nobody works on my car but me, but I don't spend much on it. I don't replace anything that I can rebuild. I buy cut rate parts (junk-yard, JC Whittney, etc.) whenever I can, and make them work. Parts cars help alot if you've got the space for them. Nothing wrong with buying everything new/rebuilt and having people work on your stuff, but I think that's half the fun for me. My Z used to be a daily driver, but not anymore. I might spend $1000 this year because I'm gonna do some susp and brake upgrades, maybe a V-8 next year. But then again, I abuse my cars and enjoy it. I love to push the envelope, even if it's just my envelope. If you've never had all 4 wheels off the ground at 70 in a Z, you've never seen just how great the suspension travel is. And then you drive home and fix the exhaust that you just broke cause you chopped the springs just a little too much last week.

#10 ·
Will cost$12-$15K

By the time my 72 240 is
"refreshed", not refurbished or restored. Good clean up, treat, remove rust, restore suspension & mechanics to A-1 condition, add a/c, new paint, bumpers & emblems. Includes purchase price of the 240.

It is a daily driver, and I prefer my 240 over most other $12-$15 K autos on the road.

#11 ·
RE: Too much

11 yrs ago I repainted, re-upholstered, carpeted, put custom wheels, KYB's, springs and an E31/L88/3x40DCOE/cam, centerforce clutch, 5-speed in it. For 10 yrs I just drove it...Hard...when it wasn't in storage, since I was working in the middle east quite a bit. Then, about a year ago, I started autoxing and since then...eccentric bushings, powder coating, HI-6 Ignition, spare wheels/race tires, strut bars, braided lines, etc. So far, about $1400 with brakes yet to go. But amortized over that time, a LOT less than car payments on anything new with as much grin/pucker factor!

#12 ·
BUCK SEASON

You are not alone Dennis. I am at $6065 and need roughly need $1400.00 to make it like I want it. Lets say rounded out $7500.00. Look at what that will get you in the newspaper. I am going to have a ball in this thing.. That "used car" from the lot or newspaper will be long gone or held in contempt but the Z will still be around...

#13 ·
Well worth it

i'm sure you guys would agree with me thats its better to invest 10,000 in a Z car then to buy a brand new civic or one of those other cheap cars (right ed:)? Its the greatest feeling to burn something that they've paid a lot for and you beat em with a old Z so i consider the money I invest in my car a good investment:)
Zya all
yuichi

#14 ·

great topic! This is like therapy. I've got about $7000 in my '70 Z and estimate that it could cost me another $10,000 if I wanted to bring it up to "very nice." Not "concours d' elegance" - just very nice. I'm 62 years old with a bad hip and bad back, so I don't do my own repair and restoration, and I like to be sure things are done right. I'm also basically a car nut from the style standpoint, I've got no interest in racing. To me, my '70 240Z is one of the world's most beautifully designed cars, no matter what those snooty Europeans say or think. I love to look at it parked in my driveway, and I love the oohs and aahs I get as I drive it. But as an investment? I don't think so. I've got it for sale now, (see bad hip), but I don't think I'll be able to sell it for what I've got in it. You can see it at www.russack.com/240.htm I'd like to sell it to someone on this forum, because we are a group who appreciates what Mr. K gave us. And if you've read David Halberstam's book, you know that Nissan didn't treat Mr. K very well, jealousy, I think. Thanks for the therapy, Dennis

#16 ·

I have two Z's, 260Z-74 and 280Z-78, both have gone through ground up restoration and performance upgrades. And still finishing 280Z. I do most of the work myself and improvise a lot. You be surprise how much useful stuff you can find from Home Depot.

I started -89 and since then I have spend about $25,000 and numerous girlfriends have taken me off their speed dials.

#17 ·
Approximate $$ on my Velo Rossa

Complete mechanical restoration on $500 78Z, suspension, bottom-up rebuild on engine, complete interior, paint (show quality), inumerable other items: $12,500 (plus or minus $2,000 if I'm telling the wife)

<A HREF=http:\\www.newtier.com\graber\z-car\index.html>MY BABY - Oh GOD how I love her!</A>

heh, heh

Steve G

#19 ·

2350 for the car
~1400 for stripping and unsat paint job
~1500 on misc parts,
aero kit
struts/springs/bushings
weatherstripping
little pieces
~400 tires

plan to spend 10 - 20000 in about five years when I financially recover from career change

#20 ·

I have spent (what I got it for + repairs/upgrades) around 5000-6000 dollars. I am number 4 or 5 on the owner list and looking at what had been done when I got it we ( the other owners and I ) have spent around 12-13,000+. I have only owned the car from sept. 8,1997. And it is not perfect or near done. I have some major power plant upgrades and drive train upgrades in the works. It has Tokico springs/struts, polyurethane bushings, 5-speed, new floor pans, new paint and fenders, and alot of other things. But I have a point where I want to get it and then I will stop for a little rest before well, who knows what.

#21 ·

Wow! What a long read. It was well worth the read though. Last week I was pretty upset with my 75 280z. I get frustrated and wonder when is it ever going to end. Ever since I got her she has been in the shop on the weekends in Z therapy. But you know, when I get in and drive her there is nothing like it or more rewarding!! So far I have completed I believe Chapter 9 in Haynes , Brakes. I have replaced it all. Luckily the motor was rebuilt so I can skip that chapter. Now I am on Steering and Suspension. So far the $ is at $2500. (I just bought her 3 months ago si I am only starting) I agree that I would rather spend it this way anyday then on some new cheaply made new car lacking in creativity,power and style. I feel better. Thanks guys.

#22 ·

when I was just getting interested in Z's and considering buying one , I looked at alot of web pages and e-mailed Bryan Little once about his Ideas about the Z car, and if I needed a money pit, he explained to me that if you look around, everyone has something that the are interested in , some collect beer bottles and some collect G.I. Joes, he also mentioned that there were very few hobbies that would be as much fun as this one andwhen I pull up to some middle aged man(like myself) in his mini van that the look in his eyes would tell me I made the right choice.
he was right!
it has been fun and frustrating, but glad I did it

#23 ·
You're Right on the Money, Grandpa Joe.

The Blue Book value of a car, or what ratty facsimiles of it won't sell for, or what some yahoo in the neighborhood watering hole says he saw one go for once in East de Sade, Louisiana - high or low, have nothing whatsoever to do with its real worth to its owner.

My '82 ZX coupe was worth a lot less than the price of its 33-coat paint job and its new engine, according to the Blue Book, but that didn't faze me one bit. The alternative to making the car the way I like it was to go in hock for a $45,000 Supra or a $75,000 XK8. No way, Abuelo Jose'.

Since we both seem happy with what we're driving, I think you and I got off light. Like the Exxon Tiger used to say, happy motoring! ...And be sure to cover up that pretty new paint if 3 Mile Island melts down again.

#24 ·

My plan is to get in cheap, do the maintenance and keep the car till it falls apart or gets wrecked. I spent two years looking and finally bought a totally rust free one owner 78 (wanted first generation car with all the improvements) with 45k original miles last year for $3k out in Ca. (I'm in Texas). I got a free parts car from the local Nissan dealer (traded in -w- no title) that actually ran good and had a lot of stuff replaced. I have stripped that one for all the spares I can get including the motor, trans (recent rebuilt 5sp), R200, a/c parts, etc., etc.. The few new parts I needed (bushings, brake pads, hoses, belts, etc.) to get my car to A-1 shape have cost around $250. I took some original 6 spoke Nissan wheels and polished them out to a chrome finish and detailed them with stainless and black paint (for the rough cast trim) they cost me $100 for a curb rash free set. 2 1/2" exhaust system $140., Pioneer cd player -w- 200w amp and speakers (8) $250 (no butchering). My big expense is coming up next week - show quality Glasurite paint job (the original paint is actually in good shape but I want perfect) with full blocking/detailing (my only concern is now I'll worry every time I park the car) this will run $1,500 (killer deal) plus my front air dam ($100) and rear factory BRE spoiler ($150). TOTAL FOR EVERYTHING - $5,550 I figure by the time I finish up I'll have $6 grand (still have to do the 5speed swap so I need my flywheel turned, new clutch/throw out bearing, cylinder rebuild kits). What I hope to end up with is a timeless designed automobile, one I can personally maintain that has decent performance. My automobile buget is such that I could afford most any car within reason (no Ferrari or Countach) and I CHOOSE to drive a Z. I think the people on this site know what I mean - hey where else can you get access to all the parts your car needs for so little money? I laugh when I buy a new water pump (lifetime warranty) for my Z @ $15 and replace it in an hour myself - when the one for my last car (GT3000 VR4 twin turbo) was $250 and cost $400 to install (have to remove the front engine cover and timing belts)! The people hitting this site know what I mean and are above average intelligence with regard to the "second biggest purchase". I desend from my soapbox now.

#25 ·
The Only Thing More Expensive Than a New Car...

is a cheap used one. Paying a little bit higher price for a car in prime condition from a mature, sober and attentive owner beats the cost of restoring and driving a ratmobile all over the place. I've been there and I've done that, now I'm a whole lot wiser.

The best cars I've ever lucked into were from ads that said "95% restored," or "My loss your gain." There's nothing I like to see more than a car whose owner is a military crew chief who was almost done putting it in concourse condition when he got transferred to Swaziland. You see quite a few of those in towns with a lot of military types like Arlington, El Paso and San Diego.

#26 ·
<b>RE: Z-Money and Time</b>

I would rather throw 200bucks a month at my Z than some econo box off the lot. With every payment on a Tercel the thing decreases in value, OK its not much but a well maintained Z will hold a steady value of at least a few grand. Plus it is a labor of love, who wants to give up a sunny saturday working on a econo box? IMHO, dont just fix....upgrade. Even if your Z isnt asking for anything that month, throw 20 or 30 bucks at it and replace the fuses or the radiator hoses or the vacume lines. This stuff isnt expensive, not hard to replace yourself and sooner or later needs to be done.

Craig76Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.