ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds like a silly question, but as low as the HP and torque numbers are for my '82 I can wax lots of supposedly higher-power cars (I still want more power though. :) I'm nowhere remotely close to new F-body or 'Vette territory but I can beat any new Eclipse (non-turbo), 'Stang (V6s are easy, even GTs if they're automatic and especially convertible), etc. etc. All this from 138bhp!? Hard to believe. :)

I love my Z.

Jon

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RE: ****, why is my ZX so strong?

Jon, It ain't the meat it's the motion!
The 81 and later HP rating went to 145 due to some head work and computer modifications, but the big reason is light weight. The ZX weighs about 3100 lbs, about 500 pounds less than the other cars; convertables usually weigh more than coupes because of the extra stiffening required and the top mechanism. Gear ratios in the transmission and rear end can also be optimized for acceleration, top speed or fuel economy. And don't forget driving skill. The 50/50 weight distribution and an excellent suspension also get the power to the ground efficiently.
The ZX, IMHO, is an almost ideal combination of performance, handling, styling, comfort, economy, reliability. I have had an 83 for 12 years and have no desire to get anything else - except maybe a Stillen SMZ twin turbo.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: ****, why is my ZX so strong?

Hey Jon.... I own both a 1998 Eagle Talon (completely stock, they post 140 HP, identical to the Eclipse) and a 1977 Z (which I believe is 136 at wheel, right guys?)...

My Z is modified... my talon is not... They are ALMOST equal cars... The Z is faster, but its powercurve sucks compared to the talon. So that puts them equal in my mind. A buddy of mine and I occassionally race them. When he drives the talon and I drive the Z, I beat him usually by about 2 car lengths (1/4 mile)... When I drive the talon and him the z, I beat him by about a 1/2 car length...

Do you know how much this pisses him off?! hehe

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're Blessed...

like some others. Of course, most of us who are have given providence a hand with deep pockets and a load of engine modifications. The god of king **** acceleration helps those who help their cars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.