Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: <b>Valve Adjustments</b></b>

That is a good idea. They do go out of adjustment over time. For max hp do it regularly. I have mine done every spring when I bring the car out of storage and maybe once later in the summer if have done several track events.

ZR8ED

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

For stock applications, once a year may be too often if you are on a limited budget. If you do it yourself, it should only take you 1 hour at the most. Usually on motors that are street warriors, because of the extra abuse, they need to be adjusted more frequently. I usually adjusted mine every couple of months and found 2-3 that were off within that short period of time. Also, when I adjust the valves I will start the car until warmed up and then cut it off. I then wait a couple of minutes and remove the valve cover and begin to adjust. I always adjust all the valves to .010" intake and exhaust. It assures I get all the valve clatter out of the engine and gives slightly higher lift.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

For stock applications, once a year may be too often if you are on a limited budget. If you do it yourself, it should only take you 1 hour at the most. Usually on motors that are street warriors, because of the extra abuse, they need to be adjusted more frequently. I usually adjusted mine every couple of months and found 2-3 that were off within that short period of time. Also, when I adjust the valves I will start the car until warmed up and then cut it off. I then wait a couple of minutes and remove the valve cover and begin to adjust. I always adjust all the valves to .010" intake and exhaust. It assures I get all the valve clatter out of the engine and gives slightly higher lift.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RE: What all is involved?

I do most of the repairs on my 280, but I have no idea what to do on this one. I'd like to tune the engine to maximum performance. Thanks for any input!

TJ 79 280ZX

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.