ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone said that the V8 can spank the turbo's. Now I'm not interested in starting anything. But I need to know, I have driven a couple of turbo's in my day. Just nothing that had an intercooler and other hot mod's. What really is the deal here...

Can the V8 Z's do in or beat the Turbo Z's? Or is it the other way around?

Dennis

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
RE: V8's Spanking the Turbo's?

hmmm is dennis thinking of crossing over to the darkside?! Well lets just put it this way v8's can handle more HP then a L6 i believe, well i should say easier
. So if i'm wrong nobody kill me!!! ofcourse i could be wrong but this is what i think, heard?
Ahh its too early i just woke up
Zya
yuichi

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I had 5K to spend on an L Series Turbo!!

Dollar for dollar my money would be on a Turbo over a V8 any day. Not to mention V8s in general can't rev as high as L series engines. Now you have to take into account the additional cost of intalling a V8 into a Z on top of the cost of trying to compensate for pushrod technology. Not to mention you F up the Z handling/turning ability on road courses. After you spend all your money on trying to fight the pushrod power loss, your talking about some major bones. I know, I had a 66' Mustang notchback with a built 302, fat holley, snorkel hood scoop, 9AL dist, cam etc. I was **** fast, but I'll tell you what, if I had the money to build an L series turbo engine I would likely woop up on all NA V8s in Z. I feel confident in saying that because I have driven both. Some people would say there is no replacement for displacement, but then others like me will tell you a turbo is a replacement for displacement! If I had let's say 5K to spend on an engine, it would go to an L series turbo engine and that would be a fast mo fo ;-) Well here is another thought for those who doubt the the turbo. Open any drag racing magazine that includes foreign and domestic cars at the drags. Who wins??? Boy it seems to me I've seen this small displacement TURBO rotary RX7 whoopin up on everyone. Of course this guy has got a ton of money into his car, but it's not magic, it's the fact that it is TURBO CHARGED! I guess you could become a bottle jockey on laughin gas, but that's no fun! Just my personal opinion...
TURBOS RULE AND V8S DROOL :)
Later,
Tim Deesen
71' 240ZT
73' 240ZT(summer project)
CA "TS 240ZT"

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: If I had 5K to spend on an L Series Turbo!!

I have been on both sides. The V8 is fast, it plows in corners, but it is fast when you get it to connect. But they cost a bundel to get installed, reliable and fast. So far I have spent less than a grand on my turbo conversion. I got the '83 ZXT for $800 then spent $122 at HiLo on a starter, vacume hose and filters. I LOVE it. Nothing beats the feeling of that turbo. Where do you live? I would be willing to let you drive mine to see what you think. I can also arange for you to drive my old VZ. But you will have to hurry to do that. The motor is being taken out of it and going back into a SS Camero where it belongs. :) Oh the VZ has twin 540cfm 4bbl, camed, blueprinted, and has all the V8 toys on it. But I will put money on the turbo Z. I think you will have more fun with it. It was a easy swap for me. Oh well let us know.

John Cooney
'77 280ZTR

·
Registered
743 Posts

I'm having a hard time understanding why all you turbo guys are claiming the V8 Z digs in the corners. I know for a fact that even if the engine was left stock with the iron heads, monster starter, and other stock options, it would only be about 150 lbs heaver...and when there is some relocating of the battery, and altering of the starter, and even with aluminum heads (which could also be done on a built engine for under 5K) the weight drops to almost stock weight (I'm not even going to discuss reliability). Do you turbo fellas feel like your car is dragging in the corners when you bring back a 12 pack from the store and place it in the front seat?? because that is basically what you all are talking about. Maybe you have an improper installation of your V8 (scarab style), in which case take a ride in a properly installed conversion. If I'm completely wrong about what I say just tear me apart like everyone else who presents a different point of view on this forum...

SpencZ

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
RE: That would me me....

OK< I made the claim that V8s could beat turbos, and yes I suppose aTurbo motored inline 6 that was properly engineered could hang. However, as I have tried to get across here before.... You would have to spend a lot of money to get the turbo motor inline 6 to be as reliable as my 383 stroker. It won't see 7000 rpm and will pull all day with that nice .50 sixth gear.... and with my HP and torque numbers stated earlier.... I can run way up high on the top end,.....

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
RE: Tim...anytime ...

You want to ome for a ride in my "Fd up, poor handling Zcar" you just say when..... Until any of you do a proper V8Z conversion, or ride in one, you shouold withold judgement. And as for high reving.... Let me pose this question....If I have 500+ HP and it all coems on by 6500rpms, why do I need to rev it on to 8000RPM? I can put a auto or manual trans and a 350hp 5.7 chevy into ANY Zcar for $6000 or less and it will run strong for 100,000 plus miles.....You won't spend 6K and get that kind of performance & reliabilitliy from a Turbo inline6.

·
Registered
996 Posts

Well said SpencZ,

It all depends on who builds the car and how much true planning and research goes into the conversions. Just like a turbo conversion, anyone can take a bunch of factory turbo parts and bolt them into a Z, throw in a junkyard intercooler and have a fast ride for a while. I'm not saying this is a bad thing it is though a basic setup that is not optimized for performance or reliability. I am comparing this setup to the builder who puts a 350 from his old farm truck into the Z chassis, maybe puts a carb and headers on it then walla, a faster Z. But guess what that engine is cammed for low end torque and won't have squat above 5000 rpm. Of the V8 Z's I've seen or raced most have been like I describe. On the other hand a good friend of mine rebuilt a 327 for $1200 and spent another $500 on the rest of the fabrication, his Z runs 0-60 in 4.1-2 consistently and accelerates to top speed of 165(gearing) effortlessly. He has had the Z this way now for 6yrs and has spent money only on tires and gas.

It all depends no two conversions are going to be the same.

Later
Matt

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
RE: SpencZ... You said it Bro...

I have no idea where these guys are seeing V8Zs handling poorly.. Once, Years ago I test rode a Scarab that handled for ****, but that was the scarab, which everyone knows was a poor design.... We put mine on scales and it is almost dead on 50/50. and I have the Monster, super heavy T56 in mine. Now I have gone with Fiberglass bumpers, cut out the spare tire well and gas tank, in favor of a fuel cell, and moved the Battery to the rear. I also have the lighter starter, aluminum heads, intake and waterpump. But I have also added weight to the car via 6 point roll cage and 2X3 inch boxed subframes. If any one out in ZCAR land lives close to Virginia, Give me a call and I will be glad to strap you in for a ride. The cars DOES NOT plow in corners, and pulls over a G and will probably win me another local area autocross championship (Mod class)with VMSC. Not to mention the fact that parts and reliability of a small block chevy vs. a turbo car.....

Now that I have said that, I am confident that a reliable inline 6 turboed could be done that would beat my little 2500# 383 stroked V8Z. But you would have to spend a lot more money to make it as reliable as mine. And making 500+ HP out of the turbo motor is gonna cost you big and add on more weight than my conversion did.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
RE: Kyle.....

I've been to your site and seen your car....
Mine has a full interior and CD changer with 4 speakers... It also has all its original glass, and it has a ton of extra stiffening and weight added by the cage, and it ran 10.3's at MIR two weeks ago on a Friday night... I made two runs in the 11's and then turned up the wick. They politely asked me to leave.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<b>I Just Didn't want to be SPANKED!!!</b>

Guy's,

Again my point was not to start anything... No wars, or battles... I just wanted to know which one was the better setup. From what I have read, it looks like there both great setups. The turbo's having more expense involved. The V8's being lower in cost and easier to maintain. It all breaks down to how well the mod's where performed. Which, unless you have a bottomless pot of gold is a direct result of how good you are with performing the work yourself.

Mike, thanks for your comments on this matter. I do agree that a well prepared car like yours must be a blast to drive. The V8Z I drove this weekend didn't have any problems cornering either. But I would like to know if you purchased a kit like from JTR for your install. Also, have you had any problems with the U-joints in the half shafts?

Turbo's sound like a sweet setup and the car is pretty much in the stock configuration. Which I like alot. I just haven't studied the turbo config with the injection, sensors, boost, intercooler, fuel pressure combination, and computer to have a firm grasp on it. However with all the posts on here about it.. I should be able to figure it out.

NOS.... gee, what can I say....

Thanks, and enjoy your cars.... its very evident that everyone has a great amounts of pride in their respective setup. As someone said.... do it right and you'll be happy in the long run...

Dennis

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

now thats what i have been looking for thats is great dude i can never find anybody running that good you got any pics to show would love to see your car maybe some stats this way i know what to shoot for

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

what the heck kind of tires are you guys with the big h.p. using? 205-zr-15's are barely enough for my slighly imprved 260 motor.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
<b>RE- 240-fish </b>

I know some guys are running very large tires . I run 245/45/16's on the back of my Z and leaving 2 50 ft rubber streaks is not hard at all and I even run a 3.90 locker R200. I can even chirp the tires going into 3rd. (no power shifting)

Who has the biggest tires? (street rubber that is)
ZR8ED.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RE: I've got 295-50-15s out back

do you mind telling me how you managed to do that you change out the readend or what

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RE: I've got 295-50-15s out back

do you mind telling me how you managed to do that you change out the readend or what

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
RE: RE- 240-fish

I'm running 265-50-15s on the street and I spin most of the way down the track. I also run the T56 and can chirp 5th, 5th gear...... I'm gonna swap to 285-35-15s AVS intermediates when I cook these Goodyears.....

Kyle, next time I go to the track I'll take the digital camera...I left it home the last time, but I promise I take pics of the car launching and the numbers at the board... (Actually my girl will) and Dennis I had the JTR kit....

Again... No flame wars guys, don't take it personal... I am just proud of my ride....

Mike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.