ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

<b>V8 Z's in SCCA?</b>

920 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  myke 
#1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone has heard of or knows about racing a V8 Z in SCCA? I'm going to build a V8 240 (though I haven't decided on the LS1 or not) w/ a six spd., Koni or other racing suspension, and plan to do a few cosmetic changes (custom fenders to allow for much larger tires). If I do this will there be a class to race in in SCCA? (I want to have my cake and eat it too!) What would I be running against? Thanks in advance for the downlo'.
Myke (speeding ticket collector)

#3 ·
<b>RE: That would be the NHRA class</b>

Come on, I'm serious. I've been reading up a bit and I think I can just about get a 50F/50R balance (okay maybe 51 front to 49 rear), and like I said I can get some fenders made to get wide enough tires under me to keep me from sliding around too much or creating smoke screens at stop lights. No offense intended but I don't think I could stand drag racing (I even moved 3 miles into the hills to get twists and turns into my daily driving), does anyone have an answer that I want to hear?
Thanx,
Myke (12 points on current DMV printout)

#4 ·
RE: That would be the NHRA class

Nobody is going to stop you from running at an autocross just because you have a V8 Z (provided that it will pass a safety inspection, of course). They will, however, probably put you in a class where you might not be competitive. Seems like V8 Zs used to end up in E-modified, but I could be wrong about that. Anyway, if you just want to go and have fun, you can do that. If you want to be nationally competitive, forget it.

#5 ·
<b>12 points huh, you only need 1 more...</b>

i agree with you about the drag racing being boring, after all, going fast in straight lines after a light turns green sounds a lot like driving around town to me. i would think they would have some sort of "open" class at least at the autocross events, but god knows what you would be classed with.

#6 ·
RE: That would be the NHRA class

Thanx for the input. I don't really care too much about being competitive w/in a class (trophies don't mean much to me), I just like to drive fast (and I need to find somewhere to do it and not get anymore tickets ;) ), and while I would like to do some autocross, I would really like to do some club racing. I guess I could ask some local SCCA folk, but thanx again for the 411. BTW, I don't recommend collecting points on the old DMV record, being young my insurance is astronomical already... expecting to see 2 more points soon, tho I think I can finally do some traffic school again. Does anyone know of any radar/lidar detectors/scrambelers that are legal in CA? I think it may be a good investment at this point (probably more so before). I just spent about $1K on my last two tickets, including getting license back after brief suspension.
Thanx again,
Myke (The guy that may have cut you off weaving thru traffic @ 90mph on 101, sorry Bay Area residents)

#7 ·
SLOW DOWN

Myke, SLOW DOWN on the **** public highways. If you want to kill yourself great, go do it. These **** freaks that put me and, more importantly, my family in danger really piss me off.

Just had to get that in there.

I drive alot and it is **** scary out there. I've seen dead people on the roads after accidents and even watched one guy be thrown from his van, land on his head and killed as his van rolled with his wife and 1 month old baby strapped inside. All because he swerved when someone cut him off after speeding by on the right side. That car kept going.

As far as SCCA, I have been a member for many years and in the past have done tech inspections. I work many CART races too. I've never seen a V8 Z, but would only guess they would put you in a GT class like 1 or 2. The GT2 Z's I've looked at are all L6's and tube frame. GT1 cars are one step below Trans Am cars. Some are even old trans am cars. The GT class are all purpose-built race cars. You would have little or no chance in either of these classes. I would recommend building, or better yet spend the money and buy a properly built ITS 240Z (or280). Then, step up to a GT car if you're having a good time!

http://www.scca.org/amateur/club_racing/classes/index.html

Check out the above site for more on the SCCA classes. There is a special section called speed freakz for drivers 16-25. Check that out too if you're in that age bracket.

Good Luck!!

#8 ·
RE: V8 Z's in SCCA?

Myke,
if you want to build a V-8 Z, go for it but do it right. Part of the myth and misconceptions about V-8 Zs is a result of some bad shade tree conversions and lack of knowledge about the conversion itself. There is a marginal difference in weight between an L6 and a late model Chevy V-8 with the aluminum heads, aluminum intake and headers. A Chevy block is only 21" long and when installed with the JTR kit, the block sits BEHIND the front wheels, lower in the chassis and is offset to the passenger side. A turbo Z car with 300-400hp is going to have the same problems cornering and stopping. In both cases you have to do suspension and brakes.

Having said all of that, I have done V-8s with the Scarab and JTR kits and the JTR is the way to go. However, my current 71Z is turbo and I prefer this setup to the V-8. If you have to build one car and you dont care about trophies, then it does not matter. Talk to JTR and they can tell you what kind of racing their customers are doing. If you already have an LS1 and that is the all aluminum V-8, then go for it. BTW, a V-8 Z is almost useless without an LSD.

My $.02...Scottie

#9 ·
RE: E - Modified for Autocross

I don't know what category you would be in for open road races, but for Solo II, ie parking lot races, you would be classed in E-Modified. Basicly, the modified classes don't have a lot of restrictions on what you can do. F modified is under 2.5L, and E mod is over 2.5L. Beyond that, there is no real rules for the class. A stroker motor in a stock 240 is in E-modified. This is because of the diesel crank in the motor. I could run a 280 motor in my 240 and only be in B-street prepared. Check out that link to the SCCA page, and they have the different classes outlined on that page.
-Bob Hanvey

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.