ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm going to put a 350 in my brother's old 73z, but I a friend who got screwed buying a 305 (when he thought he was getting a 350).

Does anyone know how I can identify the difference between the two when I look for a 350? (I'm planning on buy used and rebuild totally).

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Jim Rutowski

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: V8 Datsun </b>

JIM SAVE TIME AND TROUBLE!!!CHECK OUT A NEW GM 350 IN THE CRATE(FACTORY)$1200.I JUST BOUGHT ONE FOR MY OLD PIC-M UP TRUCK.MORE THAN SATISFIED,50,000 MILE WARRANTY TOO.TONY

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>RE: V8 Datsun </b>

TONY B 280 Z wrote:
-------------------------------
JIM SAVE TIME AND TROUBLE!!!CHECK OUT A NEW GM 350 IN THE CRATE(FACTORY)$1200.I JUST BOUGHT ONE FOR MY OLD PIC-M UP TRUCK.MORE THAN SATISFIED,50,000 MILE WARRANTY TOO.TONY

TONY B 280 Z wrote:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
RE: try a chevy site

You don't go to the F-body (chevy) site and ask where to buy fenders for the nissan, do you? If you are buying a motor out of the car, then you need to pull a head and measure the bore. You will want to pull the head anyway to insure the motor hasn't been rebuilt already. Worse than getting stuck with a 305 would be to get stuck with a 305 that had already been bored .060 over. Chevy doesn't mark their blocks with engine size. If it is a fuel injected motor you can tell by the injector part numbers, as long as somebody didn't switch them. I don't think one size had any other identifying parts. If it is still in a car check the VIN numbers of the block against the car. If it is out of the car, then pull the head and measure. If the guy won't let you pull the head, then find another seller. 350 chevies are as plentiful as the camaros they cam in.
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
364 Posts
V8's and Z's.....

Jim,

this isn't really the place to post this type of question. I would tend to think that if your putting the engine in a Z like so many of us have done on here, that this would make it a fair question. But it is touch and go... so with that said... here is my comment...

Get these two things.... the serial number on the block and the casting number. The serial number is located on the passenger side in front of where the head ends.The alternator is in going to make it had to see. The casting number is on the drivers side behind where the head ends. This is very well known spot that gets very dirty. Take both of these numbers to your local chevy dealer, go to the part department and ask the oldest parts person for some help. He will tell you what year the block is and what it came out of. With the casting number he can tell you what the displacement is.

Its that simple....

Good Luck,
Dennis

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
RE: Time the [email protected]** Out.....

You guys are busting his chops for nothing.... The guy is working on a ZCAR which makes it a valid question and you need to lighten up.

Jim, I will post a URL later that lists all the V8 block serial numbers and lets you know what is a 350 2 or 4 bolt.

As for the rest of you that are hammering him, I see all kinds of stupid **** posted here that noone bats an eye at.... Lets not chase away people because they aren't posting something of interest to your specific needs.....
Not very inviting......
Mike

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<b>RE: Time the [email protected]** Out.....</b>

Good for you, Mike. Everybody's heard the old saying "There are no stupid questions."
That applies and we should encourage everyone to ask any question they want to and anyone with an answer to provide in the spirit of this site. Remember, you were once there, too.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts

Mike, neither I nor Dennis tried to chase the guy away with a "go away" post. We both actually tried to help him out more. The best advice to give is really to post at a Chevy site. Sure us Z guys can provide great advice about what intake to use to fit a chevy in a Z or what transmission works best. However when you are asking a pure chevy question that has nothing at all to do with a z, like how to differentiate between a 305 and 350, then you will get much more accurate responses from a chevy discussion group. Because it is going in a z is probably the only reason he did get a response. Otherwise somebody might have posted " go away". If JimR wants to keep posting I'll help him out as much as I'm able. He does need to realize that he is asking questions about domestic V-8 motors to a group of people that are more experienced with the L-6 Nissan motor. Didn't mean to offend anybody.
greg
71 240z
71 cuda
84 GN
87 GN
My first car was a 68 camaro and it taught me well, but never any Fords!

Mike wrote:
You guys are busting his chops for nothing.... The guy is working on a ZCAR which makes it a valid question and you need to lighten up.

Jim, I will post a URL later that lists all the V8 block serial numbers and lets you know what is a 350 2 or 4 bolt.

As for the rest of you that are hammering him, I see all kinds of stupid **** posted here that noone bats an eye at.... Lets not chase away people because they aren't posting something of interest to your specific needs.....
Not very inviting......
Mike

·
Registered
74 Posts

Heh...glad that you never had a ford. If you had..well...I would have to stop talking to you. J/K fords are ok if thats what you like...just not my taste. Ok..lets all take a deep breath and move along...nothing to see here.

Later
Lloyd "Ewan" Tillman
Happy Z-ing

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
RE: OK..OK....

Deep breath taken....I was once in Jim R's shoes... as I posted To greg, What I don't want to happen is people having to pshycoanalyze every question before it is posted, as not to upset the masses...
If it is a question that doesn't belong, then no one will responde... Happens to me all the time!

Sorry if a bit your collective heads off.... Have a good memorial day weekend!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RE: V8 Datsun

jim, the absolute easiest way to determine the difference is to simply look at the left rear pad. as arule it will say gm 5.0L or gm 5.7L. if this isn't there the block is considerably older and you will have to check the bore. a 350 has a 4.00" bore and a 305 has a 3.75" bore. hope this helps and if you come across any good conversion sights pleas let me know as i'm in the process of installing a 1996 vortec 355 in my 1980, any help is apppreciated, and good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.