Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have a 73 240Z and been having a small problem with the turn signal operation. I have had this problem on and off for some time and I really don't use them that often so it hasn't been a big deal. I did last weekend mount a new air dam and needed to disconnect the lights to install them. I checked the connectors and everything looked good. Including the rubber boots that cover the plactic connectors. Which is where I thought the problem was. So now I'm thinking its in the flasher unit or in the lever switch on the steering column. My question to the great people of ZCAR.COM is. Has anybody run into the same problem and how did you fix it? I haven't looked at the aftermarket stuff out there, but I was thinking of doing a drive-by the pick and pull to see whats was in stock.

My point... Is it worth it to grab switches of this type from the junkyard and risk the chance of it working out. Or is it better to just go aftermarket and get known good stuff from the get go....? I'm also having problems with my wiper switch as well... and to change out this lever would included a headlight switch as well...

Let me know what you think, and what experience you have with do this.

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RE: Turn Signal Lever...

What type of problem are you having exactly? The turn signal doesn't work, works some of the time, works only when you jiggle the lever just right, the back signals work but not the front....

I had signals that worked in the back but not the front or dash. It turned out to be a corroded switch, and after careful disassembly, cleaning, bending just right, and reassembly it works good as new! I wouldn't bother with junkyard switches unless you have something actually broken in yours, and not just dirty. Ones at a junkyard are likely to be just as bad unless they were cleaned recently (not likely, if the car wound up there..)

Just be careful not to loose any of the little pieces that fall out, and make sure you remember where they all go!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>Sometimes they work</b>

Brian,

Sometimes they work (front and rear - never had only front or only rear). Yea, if I jiggle the lever I can sometimes get them to work. Other times, if I jiggle the lever I get no operation at all. I have noticed that they seem or appear to work better in the summer then in the winter... is it an easy clean job or is this a saturday afternoon type of project...

I was just thinking of replacing the switches because its an easy fix that doesn't cost me the better part of the day.

Dennis

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<b>RE: Sometimes they work</b>

I just bought a used switch from the Z Barn in TN. They test out the switches before shipping and it was only about $25 or $30 for the unit.

·
Registered
235 Posts

Hey, I have a similar problem! My turn signals and hazard flashers don't work at all- I have tried replacing the flashers and checked the fuses and had no luck?? Could it be the turn signal lever??
Thanks for your help
james
75 280Z

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

I've had two go bad on my '77 280's. Just went to a salvage yard and swapped out until I got a new one that worked. About $15. About $120 from Nissan.
Phantom

·
Registered
345 Posts

Dennis you answered you own question. If when you "jiggle" the lever the signal starts to work what does this tell you? 1) the bulb(s), socket(s) and wiring is O.K. 2) the flasher circuit is functional and 3) you have a bad connection in the column switch assembly. Phantom and Tom have the cure.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<b>RE: Turn Signal Lever... </b>

I have a 73z also. If you go to the junkyard to get a used one be carefull of the switch clip. My car was a 12/72 and I pulled one off of a 1/73 and when I got home I found they changed the clip in the 1 month difference. I would however recommend messing with yours first then junk yard. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.