ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

<b>Turbo Update for Clint(78z)</b>

405 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Unknown User 
#1 ·
I began porting my exhaust manifold for my new T04E-57mm trim, tc3 turbine wow I had to port quite a bit with the carbide cutter I went fairly far in and the smoothed it with the stone on the die grinder . I was wondering were to put the EGT probe . I am wondering what is the cheapest route for EGT gauge . I have seen a simple BAR readout used hooked to a thermocouple . Likely alot cheaper than a $250 gauge . If you read this 240 turbo, I have one question why didn't you get the a watercooled turbo for your old turbo/my new one . As far as I can guess than turbo runs lower rpms and does not generate enough heat to justify water cooling !! PS I am taking pictures of my progress

#2 ·
<b>RE: Turbo Update for Clint(78z)</b>

I originally had a watercooled center section, but when I upgraded the turbo to the tc-3 turbine wheel, I got my turbo back without a watercooled center section. Like I said, call majestic and see if he won't swap you center section although you can run without it just fine. It lengthens time between rebuilds of the turbo.

#3 ·
external wastegate, anyone?

Are you installing or using an external wastegate?
I am planning to install one in the couple of weeks
I am undecided between the Turbonetics Racegate and deltagate, the 2nd is $100 cheaper. HP capability? dunno
I was thinking about installing it below the manifold, just at the entrance of the turbo. Any opinion?

BTW I installed a Turbonetics Godzilla bypass valve, but I am yet to see it working. My vacuum opened the valve at idle, It is disconnected right now. I am gonna take some pictures of this monster pretty soon, it sure is BIG.

Z-ya

carlosZXT

#4 ·
RE: Turbo Update for Clint(78z)

You don't have much choice on the EGT. It has to be installed before the turbo. If you put it after the turbo it will give inaccurate and false reading, mostly too low as the exhaust cools too much as it exits the turbo. You will have to drill and tap into the exhaust manifold. Don't try to skimp too much on gauges. You get what you pay for. I use a handheld digital model that has a peak hold feature. It cost about $170 with two sets of thermocouples.I like it because I can use it on my different cars or someone else's car. I just run the thermocouple in the cars, then carry the gauge /meter with me. The VDO has a bad rep as being slow responding, mainly due to the type of thermocouple. Change the thermocouple and it is fine. The Greddy stuff is just ridiculously overpriced l leave that for the Honda crowd to blow their money on. get the water cooled bearing if you can. No downside to it other than having to plumb it, plus it will greatly reduce the wear and tear on your turbo.
greg
71 240z

#5 ·
RE: Turbo Update for Clint(78z)

I disagree with Greg. I have the HKS boost controller and it came with literature stating that if using an egt before the turbo
max temp should not exceed 750-900 deg C. Then it says if running the egt after the turbo, the max temp should not exceed 650-750 deg C. The local speed shop uses this same system on 3 different turbo cars.As to where to get a gauge, I went to a highway tractor wrecker and picked up an Isspro gauge for $ 50 ( I've seen them in some featured cars in Turbo Mag, SportCompact Car etc.) Highway tractor parts stores sell the Isspro thermocouple for about $50. You'll have to get them to order the harness extra but I think it's only about 15 bucks. And everthing fit into an autometer 60mm gauge cup. The whole setup was about $140 can. I put my thermocouple in after the turbo because I didn't want to take off the exhaust manifold and I was getting a custom downpipe anyway. I do agree with Greg that installing the egt before the turbo is better and in your case easily done. Just my 2 cents worth.

#6 ·
<b>RE: EGT placement</b>

I'm afraid greg is entirely right. The EGT probe MUST be in front of the turbo to get an accurate reading. The reasons are too long to list, but just imagine taking fuel pressure AFTER the fuel pressure regulator - it just doesn't mean anything...

BTW, the Greddy EGT's list for only $188 and most shops sell them for around $165. They are MUCH better in quality than any autometer or VDO p.o.s. Have wasted my money on both before going Greddy.

Rcr X

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.