ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I drive my car no matter what gear it's in ( 5sp) it chatters like the revs are too low for the gear that I'm in. The best way to describe it is if you were to try and take off from a complete stop in 3rd gear. Thanks

·
Registered
538 Posts
RE: Transmission problem

may not be your transmission. check your power drive axel it may be very worn out and need to be replaced or
refurbed

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>Clutch Chatter?</b>

does it chatter as you let the clutch out and pull away from a stop? it sounds like you may have a clutch problem. is the clutch new? you may need to replace your clutch and have your flywheel turned. i've seen clutches with severe hot spots that chatter constantly. the only way to get around it is to let the clutch out with almost no throttle and baby it around.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: Transmission problem

I had a problem that seemed to be the tranny, harsh vibration when accelerating, bad in all gears, really bad in fifth... Ended up having bad parts in the front end, tie rod end and ball joint...

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<b>Glad Ya Said Something.....</b>

Tom,

That cracks me up... you thought you also had a tranny problem and it turns out to be the front suspension...

I also thought I had a tranny problem once... kinda had me going... well actually it did have me going pretty good. I had replaced the u-joints in the half shafts and the drive shaft earlier in the year... so I gave them all a good check and lubed them too. Checked the tranny fluid, which was one bear of a plug to get loose. checked the fluid and topped it off. Lowered the car started it up and was checking all over for where the sound was coming from. I was thinking clutch or tranny. I checked all over, couldn't find anything making the noise. I was consulting the guy next door and noticed the fan blades were a bit dirty. While cleaning them I noticed the shaft to the water pump was loose. Looked at it somemore... determined the pump was going to need to be replaced... did it... and this fixed what I thought was a tranny problem...

Funny thing is the waterpump never leaked. That one turned out to be a cheap fix...

Good Luck,
Dennis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.