ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may or may not know I am putting together a budget turbo project . I have a T3/T04E-57mm turbo(thanx 240)and it will go on a junkyard turbo motor with stock ECCS . I am just in the midst of doing the head on the motor .Anyway I have a 3.7 LSD rear end and a 78 tranny . I was thinking about upgarding to to an 82 close ratio with larger overdrive . My way of thinking is that first and second won't be as steep and will allow the big turbo to spool up more . The closer ratios will not allow boost to fall off as much when shifting .

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: Transmission and diff ratios for killr Turb

You will probably want wider ratios so that you can stay in your power band longer. Same philosopy as putting in a 3.55 instead of a 3.90. Your 3.70LSD is perfect for your application. I would go with the 81zx 5-speed, I do not believe that it is a close ratio. My opinion! How long before that beast is running?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: Transmission and diff ratios for killr Turb

I agree with 240z turbo. I happen to have the oddball '80 ZX transmission so I have no clue as to the ratios but I dont have any complaints about it. I also have a 3.70 (non-LSD, boohoo) and this is a sweet combination. What makes it even sweeter is having a lightened flywheel.

Scottie

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<b>RE: Transmission and diff ratios for killr Turb

The 1st and second gears are not as steep as my current tranny .They are closer ratio to each other which will keep turbo in boost . You had a 4.11 was that a little to much, not going to get alot out of first gear . I think this will make my car more flexible . I am just in the process of doing some head work, I am still looking for a starion intercooler and a fuel pressure regulator this will take a while . I have tried to buy from other people and it just hasn't worked out . James you wouldn't to be able to get your hands on a starion intercooler, I like to do bussiness with people I trust . I am almost tempted to spend the extra cash for a BEG one by far the cheapest and best . Scottie did one helluva job on his intercooler I can only wish mine turns out as nice .
PS I don't think my sears M&S tires are going to appreciate the new turbo.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<b>Intercooler</b>

I can get my hands on a nice volvo intercooler for $100. It has alot of frontal area, but is only about 2" thick. Should be as good, if not better, than the starion unit.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<b>RE: Intercooler</b>

I heard the volvo units were not as goo at least that is the impression I got from Dave 83zxt . Mabey if I prod Opie he might part with his . Actually I've been dying to rip one off our army diesel truck 4 cylinder turbo 3" thick larger cores . Think they would notice ??, I have thought about turning up the boost on that one as well .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.