ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an AT and am interested in changing to 4 or 5 speed. I have seen many posts that say the way to go is get all parts from the wrecking yard. I have seen total prices for the change over from $150- $1000. Many say that the change is also an easy project that everything "just bolts up". My question is what tranny will fit into my '79 280 zx?, is it really as cheap and easy as 'they' say, and what is the easiest way to locate a wrecked unit??

·
Registered
996 Posts
RE: TRANNY CONVERT QUESTION

Almost any ZX tranny will bolt up from 79-83, but the 82/83 non turbo tranny's are best if used with the 3.9 ratio rear end. Your rear diff if stock is a 3.54 (I could be wrong). How mechanical are you? That determines how easy it is. Let me know.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<b>Matt & tom2z2</b>

matt-I am pretty sure I have the R180 model w/ 3.545 RE gear ratio....i have mechanical experience (and an official zx manual for my year)...will this be a diff. project?

tom2z2-I live in southern MN. For the time being. Then northern mn later this summer or fall. I am interested in the conversion but am strapped for cash as my wife is working on her master's degree and have one income (with tons of bills, including my student loans). Is the parts car a 4/5 speed. I would like a 5 but....where are you?
Both-Are there many zx in the wrecking yards?
thanks..........mks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.