ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get some new tires, any recomendations an a brand/line? I'd like to keep it around/lower than $100 a tire. I had Goodyear Eagles, and they just suck, one developed a huge bubble in the sidewall after 8000 miles, and the other cracked along the side after I nicked a corner on a sharp turn at 15 mph.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RE: Tires

not too sure abot prices,but I got some Dunlop sp9000's!grip,grip sticky,slobber,yes Isaid Grip! I'm sure any brand of Z-rated tyre is good.Z-rated for Z-cars?no connection really, up to 140MPH, is that enough??

·
Registered
205 Posts
RE: Tires

i have used sumitomo htr4's for about 4 years now and am very happy with them. they are inexpensive (i just bought 215/60/14's for $48 a piece plus shipping), they grip good, but don't wear out in 5000 miles. if you go to the tire rack web site, they have customer ratings of most of their tires--look at the htr's ratings, and you'll see they are on par or above sp8000's which are a very good tire.
hope this helps,
andy

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<b>RE: Tires</b>

Z rating only states that the tread won't fly apart until after 140 MPH ;{). The grip is determined by many things. Two of the most important are tread wear rating and tread pattern. The lower the tread wear rating the stickier the rubber compound. Usually, a block type of tread pattern will give better dry grip than one with a lot of little sipes (tiny "cuts" in the tire which give it good rain and snow traction) in it. The more sipes, the more tread squirm in the corners.

The Tire Rack lists the tread wear rating of your Dunlop tires at 280. Typical street tires are listed at about 380. My BFG Comp T/As are listed at 220!! I use them for autocross (street tire class) and love them.

I'm also told that each manufacturer does it's own rating so comparing brands may be questionable. I would guess that if two tires are within 25 points of each other there really isn't much difference.

The Dunlops start at about $140. BFGs at about $120.

Good luck,

Lee

·
Premium Member
40,971 Posts
Dunlop D60-A2's!!!

Put them on my wifes 260. Best rating from consumers reports, got AA traction rating, and decent wet grip. for standard Z sizes between $40-60 a corner. V-rated.
Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct will mail them to you.
They're great tires, and they've worked good at the autocross on an informal basis.

·
Registered
355 Posts
X-1's BABY!!!

Hello,
Hey I can Recommind the Michelin X-Ones. They are not super performers but most people don't autocross only. Since my car is a daily driver I need that 100,000 mile warrenty. I have hit sidewalls with them before and they hold up just fine. I have never had a problem with them before. Not much more then 80 at tirerack. I have afeeling I will have to get wider X-1s when I put my new engine in because it will problem destory my current one.

Dustin

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<b>RE: X-1's BABY!!!</b>

do not know wheree you live but i've found in the northeast(4 seasons, maybe two) that my Bfg comp t/a 60/225/14 seem to handle all conditions well. holds the road well. try a wholesale discount place(bj's, cosco, etc) $240 for a set of four
good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.