ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across an 81 280ZXT in beautiful condition. The body is completely straight and there is no rust. I asked what was wrong with the car and the lady said it still runs but she thinks it has a thrown rod. The car has 100,000miles on it. I've never heard of a piston rod going out that early. I have a feeling it might have thrown a rocker arm. She wants 600 for the car. Anyone have any other suggestions what it might be?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nope, But...

My suggestion is take an expert mechanic to car you've found and have him ascertain what the trouble is. Even if the engine has a thrown rod or a busted crankshaft, a 280ZXT in "beautiful condition" is worth a fast $600.

If the engine's had it, figure a new turnkey one will run you $3000 to $4000, so what you've gotta ask yourself is: Would the car be worth approximately $4100 with a new mill under the hood?

·
Registered
482 Posts
RE: Thrown rod?

I know about thrown rods, being that I just had one shoot out the left side of my engine block. Believe me, if the engine has a thrown rod, you'll know it. A thrown rod = no running, and alot of banging and clunking if you try and turn it over, if it even will. Most likely your problem is elsewhere.

Of course, if for some reason the engine damage is major, you can rebuild it, or have a new engine built. Either way, unless the car is worth fixing, it would be a waste of money to pick it up, even though it's only $600.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
not always so

I had a Ford 351M that threw #5 rod, hanging out the side. It cranked, ran, and drove with this rod hanging out of the side of the oil pan. Shook like a bear but drove itself onto a trailer and pulled itself back off again and into the driveway, 4400 lb car. So.....thrown rod does not always equal not running :)

Ken

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<b>RE: not always so</b>

I threw number 2 on a 71 LT1 350 Z28 Camaro... and yep... it ran.... but was undriveable... Gee that was a costly drive to the bay....

I would take a look... I have heard of this before... if its an older woman, sometimes there are guy's out there on the take.... I have a friend that bought a car that was said to be the same... problem turned out to be a bent push rod on a V8...which didn't open the intake valve any more. Cheap fix....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.