ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now my 78' is stock but thats going to change very soon. I heard the rear end swap makes a huge difference. Does this work with the 4 speed? I don't plan on using the upper gears much and am going to stay away from high speed performance. Also which cars can these gears be found on?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RE: The best gear and tranny set up for 1/8 mile?&

Hey! They best swap you can do (Now this is for 1/8 mile only, it'll pretty much negate highway use) is a rear end from a 85-87 200sx (it's called a r200 rear end) the ratio is 4.11. It's a direct bolt up to your car. Also, personally, I would swap my 4 speed with an 82-83 5 speed out of a 280zx . As this 5 speed would also give me a good nice close ratio box and a good tall 5th for highway use. Best of both worlds, N'cest Pa?

·
Registered
399 Posts

Kent, send me you E-Mail and I'll send you a spread sheet that has all the ratios and info. you need.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Lynn, your right, the ZX tranny with a 4.11 would be an awsome setup. Or, the '75-'78 tranny with a 3.90 will be about the same. For all out drag racing, if you don't want to drive on the highway, the 4 spd tranny has the highest 1st , 2nd, and I think third gears. Couple that with a 4.11, and you have an almost undriveable car. But, with a 3.70 or a 3.90, you might have a better set-up for drag racing than with a 5spd.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<b>Define Un-drivable...</b>

What would my revs be around 65 mph, this might actually be better for me seeing as how im prone to getting tickets for 80+....

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE: Define Un-drivable...

4.11 with the 4 speed, somewhere around 4300rpm I'd wager..With the 81-83 280zx5 speed, probably 3350 or so...-Lynn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.