ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a mod that I learned way way way back from a Z racer. I've been using it for 6 years now and it works great!
Want less play in your steering? Try this on for size.
Look at the rubber donut in your steering coupler 70-78 (not sure about 79-83 sorry) have someone move the steering wheel back and forth 1-2 inches. Notice the twisting motion of the Donut? Take that rubber donut off and chuck it. Now before you did that you should have gone to your local sporting goods store and purchased a NHL regulation puck....YES,..A HOCKEY PUCK... place the old rubber donut on top of it and mark the 4 bolt holes (you can't miss it when you see it) Mark and drill those four holes and replace the donut with the hockey puck and reassemble the steering coupling. It will only take an hour or so depending on how seized the bolts are. The NHL puck is much stiffer than the old rubber donut and sure beats spending $$ to buy or have an aluminum one made up. It is great for that budget Z!! It works!
Weird huh?
ZR8ED......getting sleepy must go to bed.........1hr till home time.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: Super inexpensive steering mod</b>

Don't do it folks, I put in something like that only it was made for the car, hard plastic and it took every bump on the road and threw up up through every joint in my arms. It may be ok for short term racing but for every day road use it will drive you nuts in no time, if you have a power steering based car who knows but with manual boxes it's a pain.

·
Registered
403 Posts
What does a hockey puck go for?

Good Idea, but the energy suspension urethane donut is only about 10 bucks. (and flexes a little but not much and definitely alot less than stock). Now if ya happen to have one lying around, go for it

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: What does a hockey puck go for?

$1.00-$2.00 for the puck. I coach ice hockey, and I don't think USA HOCKEY's liability policy covers use of a puck in the steering system of a Z car! They will love this one.
Maybe this is where I'm losing all my pucks!
Gotta go back to the Blues/Coyote game. Joe

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE: hockey puck

I use the ABS plastic coupler from VB and I will take a little vibration for the difference it makes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.