Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 77 280 with real bad steering wheel shimmy.all balljoints,tierod ends,
bushings are new.I have had the wheels balanced and the problem is still there.It is most noticeable around 55 to 60 mph.Any ideas?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b> your rack </b>

good news im pretty sure its your rack. bad news mine just got replaced and your looking at aroung 300 bucks just to get a rebuilt one.

PS advance auto had the best price i could find,good luck

JZ

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: your rack

Actually, I found one from TAE (Newport News, VA) for 190 dollars...

Also check your wheel bearings...

Brett
'77Z

·
Registered
645 Posts
RE: your rack

also, early z car wheels are lug centered. make sure there's no play in your lugs as that was contributing to some nice steering wheel shimmy at 55-60 in my car.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Has anyone adjusted their rack?

You can do this and it takes most all the play out. Not very hard, the procedure is in the Haynes, Chitlons, or Z service manuel. Being a manuel rack it is not hard to clean out the old grease, replace a few seals, refill with grease, adjust the tension nut on the top, replace the boots to keep the new grease clean. Did mine in about 2 hours, feels like new. They wear very little unless it has been abused.

Matt

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<b>RE: Did you check your tires for roundness</b>

Probably 90 % of shimmies you are experiencing are tire or rim related. Secondly the rotors being warped. have a tire store lift your car and spin the tires hwile you watch. Cost---free.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<b>RE: Did you check your tires for roundness</b>

Check out the tires first. All tires are put together by hand and suspected of being defective unless proven otherwise -- swap fronts with the rears and see if any change. I have many horror stories with tires in my limited (30 years)experience with radials.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.