ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds like your car has too much torque or that your turbo kicks in too fast. Yes, quick spoolup is nick but you pay the price in traction. Personally, I like to have some sort of lag to keep the tires from smoking. With your HP #'s, you should be alot lower in your et's. Low-low 12's or high 11's with your street tires. On my last motor I ran the t3/t04E with the 57trim wheel and the tc-3 turbine wheel. I could not burn the tires in second by gunning it, sometimes a chirp or two, but I could outrun mid 12 second cars with ease. The torque if fun, but I personally like traction and winning, no offense to you. I had called you several times at Alamo, but was kept on hold for long periods and hung up. Hope to see you at a future import race and compare notes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: Stealth</b>

Too much torque??? Turbo kicks in too fast??? No such thing! (ha, ha). Actually the car is set up for road racing and general street driving (full leather interior, A/C, sound system) so torque and response are important to me. The suspension is way too stiff for drag racing if I really got serious about it. I just took it out there for fun a couple of times. The quick spool-up and response work great out on the street. Lower 1/4 mi numbers are possible, but I'm not sure I want to go through the suspension again.
With the boost set down to 10 - 12 psi I would only fry the R-1's if I went past 1/2 throttle in second or third. You might want to look at your timing, or something in your fuel map. With the 57 trim you should not have a problem dusting the tires, especially in second gear.
On the street (and highway) I could easily outrun 11sec cars and bikes. Thinking about it, I probably got into more races with superbikes than cars over the last year or so (the look on thier faces is priceless - although I got more thumbs-up from them than the guys I beat in cars).
After building and dynoing some of the new tt and single turbo Supra's, making 600 to 700hp TO THE WHEELS- DAILY DRIVEN, I have turned my focus into building as much torque and drivability as possible. Don't get me wrong, I want to make hp, but not with the lag and sudden on-rush of pwr some of these mega hp vehicles have. I want to have my cake and eat it to kind of thing.
My strongest apologies for any hold time on the phones at the shop. Our phone traffic has become somewhat phenominal over the last 12 to 16 months (over 400 calls a day on some peak periods). Recently we have installed additional phone lines and added 2 additional employees to handle some of the load. If the trend continues we may have to install an automated system - I just hate talking to computers though.
If you make it to any of the drag series in the Tx area, please look me up. We are sponsoring the NOPI and NIRA events, so just look for our booth. Who knows, the way I am catching sh*t from friends and some of the local Z-guys, I may make a few mods and run it out at the track again...

Steve 'Stealth' Webb


240z turbo wrote:
-------------------------------
Sounds like your car has too much torque or that your turbo kicks in too fast. Yes, quick spoolup is nick but you pay the price in traction. Personally, I like to have some sort of lag to keep the tires from smoking. With your HP #'s, you should be alot lower in your et's. Low-low 12's or high 11's with your street tires. On my last motor I ran the t3/t04E with the 57trim wheel and the tc-3 turbine wheel. I could not burn the tires in second by gunning it, sometimes a chirp or two, but I could outrun mid 12 second cars with ease. The torque if fun, but I personally like traction and winning, no offense to you. I had called you several times at Alamo, but was kept on hold for long periods and hung up. Hope to see you at a future import race and compare notes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>Stealth, P-90 head question!</b>

I have a P-90 head coming soon. What do you recommend on how to prep the head for 525hp or so. My motor has flattop forged with -.005" deck height and I run the HKS 2mm. I am thinking to shave it .040" and install oversized exhaust valves. Would I be good to go to just match port the head and not worry about doing a full port job. Also, do you think the stock intake valves will suffice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
RE: Stealth

Stealth!
What is the turbo you are using now?
What year is your car?

What shop are you talking about?

Just curious,because my turbo is a turbonetics H-3 p69 and I personaly like its response. I have been in a 714HP street turbo supra and thats lag (it spools at 5500). Even yet my tec2 has not been completly programed I feel satisfied with the torque I have now and i'm sure it can get better. But Since I have been programing it cold blinded it has taken me a lot of time.

Danilo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<b>RE: Stealth</b>

I would like you to know I really appreciate the time you took to write the articles for the Texas club . From what I gather your Turbo car has increased torque from a smaller turbo super 60, increased compression, and advanced timing curve . Do you have any secrets for building a budget street motor . The knowledge at this website is top notch, hope to see you here again . We enjoy talking turbo L28 . By the way I have 240 turbo's T04E-57mm tc3 turbine for my junk yard motor I am using all stock components Boost Ref FPR, starion I/C, larger fuel pump any suggestions . Any new articles on the way??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<b>Correction!!</b>

I did not mean the super 60 turbo I meant the Mitsu 17C . I wonder how the mitsu turbos can flow so much at a higher speed and not drop effeciency as much .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<b>RE: Stealth, P-90 head question!</b>

I am a big fan of the P90 head. I hate to suggest it, but I would reccomend going to the 1mm HKS rather than use the 2 mm and shave the head 0.040".
Other than that I need to know what bore you are using, what cam, the type of driving (city only, track only, mix), and what rpm you want to rev it to.
Oh, and how much boost do you plan to run?

Stealth
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<b>RE: danilo</b>

I am using a Mitsubishi TD06-20G with a custom exhaust housing. The reason I am keeping with the Mitsu's is the response. I start making boost at 1500rpm and am full in by 2800 to 3000. But it still holds torque to 6500 rpm.
My car is a '73 240 with lots-o-mods.
The shop is Alamo Autosports in Arlington Tx. We specialize in 'Import Performance', have a full computerized Dynojet chassis dyno, and race in IMSA (240sx), and SCCA ITS (280Z), T1 and T2.

I know what a H-3 compressor wheel is, but I don't know what your 'p-69' refers to. The H-3 is a good wheel for the Z car to 325-350hp.
If you can find a dyno in your area, it is a TREMENDOUS tool in programming your tec-II. Especially with a high hp car such as your z, it is hard to get a good seat of the pants feel on the street. I started programming my DFI form scratch, and made more progress in one day on the dyno than 6 mo on the street.

Stealth


danilo wrote:
-------------------------------
Stealth!
What is the turbo you are using now?
What year is your car?

What shop are you talking about?

Just curious,because my turbo is a turbonetics H-3 p69 and I personaly like its response. I have been in a 714HP street turbo supra and thats lag (it spools at 5500). Even yet my tec2 has not been completly programed I feel satisfied with the torque I have now and i'm sure it can get better. But Since I have been programing it cold blinded it has taken me a lot of time.

Danilo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<b>RE: Stealth, P-90 head question!</b>

I am going to go with the 1mm HKS, I want to keep .045" between the top of the piston and the squish area. I have flattop Venolia forged that have a -.005 deck height and the pistons have valve reliefs that were originally used to help lower the compression with my N-42 head. The bore is 87mm with the expensive $200 total seal rings. Rods were race prepped by Top-End and the crank was fully prepped by Westside performance in Houston. The cam is from Top-End with 278/282 duration and .480" lift. They said the effective powerband on the cam is from 3500-8300. The car is a daily driver, but with emphasis on drag racing and I don't want to pull past 7500 rpm and most likely 7200. I run the Tech II also. Anyway, I want to run in the neighborhood of 16psi on 93 octane from a big shaft 60-1 (P-trim w/.70 a/r housing)(racegate wastegate) and I use the 27"x8"x3" core Bell intercooler. My last motor was able to run 18-19psi on 93 octane. I do want to run some race gas, but boost no higher than 20psi. I have a 75mm TB and have just made a custom intake manifold. Runners from a set of tripple webbers welded to an old Cartech plenum. The backside has been cut off and a taper was placed to help better distribute the charge. I will be sending it to Bell soon to have the injector bosses welded /custom fuel rail/ and the mounting flange milled because of slight warpage during welding. I have ordered 3mm oversized exhaust valves and want to know if I can run the stock intake valves for my intended application. Since I will be primarily running 93 octane I don't think I will have extreme exhaust temps, 1400-1450. What do you recommend? Pretty long post, huh?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<b>RE: Clint(78z)`</b>

I hope to do more articles in the future. Free time is a rare and valuable commodity for me right now. I only get to visit this list about once or twice in a two week period if I am lucky. I am really suprised at the number of turbo'ed z's on this list though!

The 57-Trim that you got from 240z turbo is a fairly rocking unit. I have made over 375hp @ wheels on Mk III supra's (86-92) at 24 psi of boost with that unit. Not that you would want to run that high, but it gives you an idea of the capability.
What fuel management are you using? n/a or later model turbo?

Stealth


Clint(78z) wrote:
-------------------------------
I would like you to know I really appreciate the time you took to write the articles for the Texas club . From what I gather your Turbo car has increased torque from a smaller turbo super 60, increased compression, and advanced timing curve . Do you have any secrets for building a budget street motor . The knowledge at this website is top notch, hope to see you here again . We enjoy talking turbo L28 . By the way I have 240 turbo's T04E-57mm tc3 turbine for my junk yard motor I am using all stock components Boost Ref FPR, starion I/C, larger fuel pump any suggestions . Any new articles on the way??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
RE: danilo

My turbo is a H-3 compressor with a P-trim and a .69 a/r
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<b>RE: Clint(78z)`</b>

Thank you for responding the turbo Z scene has took off in the last couple of month's . I have done alot of question asking from some of the veterans here and gone very deep into what gets the horsepower and what keeps your engine from blowing up . For my intended use of the car will be mostly street driven, and with mabey 1 auto-X a month . I may take it to the dragstrip once or twice but not very often . I have a 3.7 LSD and will only rev it out to 6500 rpms . My plan is to run 14 psi-15psi max on 93 octane gas . I will be getting the HKS 1mm head gasket for my p90 head . I am forgetting so many things I could write for hours .
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top