Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i start my car i have to
wiggle my keys in till it starts. what do i have to replace.My keys(they look pretty worn out) or what???

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RE: start 'n problem

Just had the same problem on my '78 280Z. I replaced the start switch. This is not the part with the key. This is a bolt-on to the back of the key unit. Cost me $27 at the Nissan parts counter.
Dave
Hope this helps

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>RE: start 'n problem</b>

I had the same problem when I first got my Z. The locksmith said that most generic key places use the wrong key on older nissans. He made me a new one that looked totally different and it worked perfectly.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The ignition ( more specificly the locks ), are kinda cheesy on the Z cars, I have seen that problem on all 3 of the Z cars I have owned, they just wear out.

Scott Milella

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Replace the lock cylinder. I had the same problem. You need to take your old one off before you do this. The reason being is that some of the lock cylinders have a different turning radius. I think that there are 3 different ones. You will only know the correct one if you look at the back of it.

It is kind of a pain to get the old lock cylinder out. You need to follow the directions that come with the new one. You can pick one of these up for $20 bucks or so @your local Auto Parts Store.

If you have questions, let me know.
And Good Luck
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.