ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know how hard it is to do this? At the end of last season I bottomed out the car at Mosport and broke off the Harmonic balancer for the diff. (the big piece of plate steel under the diff carrier.) Well it was just dead weight anyway. I came in off the track and checked the car out and noticed when I rocked the car back and forth (in gear) you could see the diff move up and down 1-2 inches. Bad diff mount right? Well I was supposed to get this fixed up with a solid mount but my mechanic just can't get to my car yet and I'm dying to get the car ready for another lapping session this week. BTW I have never taken a diff out myself before. I had my mechanic swap my diff last year and did not think about this at the time. and I'm dead set about going to a solid diff mount.
help!? :-(
ZR8ED

·
Registered
134 Posts
RE: Solid diff mount

I was able to replace mine without removing the diff. or the exhaust. After removing the hold down strap over the top, I took the front mount assembly completly loose( a good time to replace the bushings there), jacked up the diff., and was able to get the clearance needed to do the job. It is fidgity, but can be done. Don't forget to pre-load the bushings when you tighten them- that is put the weight back on the wheels.

·
Registered
996 Posts

You can remove the stock mount without removing the diff, like Larry says, I have done it as well. Another thing you can do is cut 1/4" thick steel strips just wide enough to be welded over the gap between the inner and outer steel shells the rubber remains in the mount. With these strips welded in place the mount will be solid. I did mine 5 years ago and haven't had a diff move around yet. Might cost $10.

Later
Matt

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Is the ride alot harsher. My diff mount is gone. I noticed that the ZX's have solid mount diffs so it can't be horrible better than the big clunk in the back now.

Sam 75 280z, 81 280zxt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.