ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the scoop. When I drive at night my car slowly dischaarges the battery. It gets really low like 9 volts then I turn the lights off and it jumps back up to 13 volts immediatly. I have replaced the battery, voltage regulator, and had my alternator checked, I am really starting to get pissed! These da#$ electrical problems really #[email protected]$ %##$%!!!
Please any advice or ideas would be helpfull.
Tj 77z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RE: Same #$%#^* problem is back...please advise

this might sound wierd ,turn headlights on,run your hand along the wireharnes(a cool night helps) check for a hot or warm spot.you might be overloading a circit,causing a resistance .this might acount for the voltage plunge. if this does not work,try a freinds votage regalator. we had some of the same problems on early 190 2.3 mbz's. write back randell p.s. if you do find a warm spot correct it,it could lead to a melted harness,not fun to fix.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Be sure your battery is grounded to the chassis AND the engine block and that your alternator is well grounded also. This is a common problem with old Zs. A peculiar side affect of faulty grounding that I've witnessed is when you have your blinkers on, the voltage (or amp) gauge reads higher when the lights blink on, and lower when the lights blink off.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Sounds like your alternator is breaking down once it gets hot. Replace it.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RE: I would try Evan's solution first

I have an 83 RX-7 that would exhibit the same problems. I took it to the shop and they found exactly that problem. A 6 inch piece of wire was all that was needed to fix it. Gound from the negative cable the the body was gone. Check the engine ground too. Good luck.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I had a similiar problem - the culprit was the rectifier in the alt. I had the alt rebuilt and haven't had any trouble since.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I had a similar problem. Here's what I did:
New battery, same problem.
Alternator tested good so I replaced ground cables, they were not great but not that bad. Still, no fix.
Put on new aternator, problem went away.
I figure it was the alternator.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Alternator

I, along with others, had the same problem you describe. Replaced the battery (had an extra around), no fix. Checked cables, cleaned, no fix. Tested alternator at Autozone & Checker, they both said it was fine. Problem: Alternator. I replaced it and problem has not been back. Pain in the ass to change in my 83.
Good Luck,
Joshua L.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<b>FIXED ===1 :) zer</b>

THanks everyone you saved my butt!!!

Ok. it was a worn belt. Under load it was slipping. However when I tightened it super tight it still slipped. I replaced the belt with a new one and presto problem fixed. Possibly when everyone installed a new alternator it was not the alternator that was the problme but the tension of the old belt. So you would think tha alternator fixed it but it was actually the new belt or adjusting the belt. Thanks everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.