ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'82 ZX -- I have some body rust coming through around the fuel cap (where you pump gas into).. its actually on the body skin just outside of the cap, not the cap or the pipe itself. Does anyone have a safe suggestion for grinding away at this area, so that the sparks don't blow everything up? (I may have to take the cap off to be able to get at all the affected areas)..

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Remove gas tank and filler tube!!!

I wouldn't take any chances. I know exactly the rust spot you're talking about because all Zs (first and second generation) are susceptible to it. I've got it on mine too, but I'm ignoring it for now. But I would never try to fix it with the tank and filler tube on. Too dangerous. Besides, you won't be able to fix it right from the outside. That means you have to get at it from the backside, where the rust is coming from, and you can't do that with the filler tube and tank on.

You'll have to sand blast or cut out the rusty spot and put in new metal if you don't want it coming back. I know this is not at all what you wanted to hear, but it's the only way to do it.

Z-nut wrote:
-------------------------------
'82 ZX -- I have some body rust coming through around the fuel cap (where you pump gas into).. its actually on the body skin just outside of the cap, not the cap or the pipe itself. Does anyone have a safe suggestion for grinding away at this area, so that the sparks don't blow everything up? (I may have to take the cap off to be able to get at all the affected areas)..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.