Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roger-
Did the hack saw trick work on your breaks to stop them from squeeling. If not the semi metallic pads seem to do the trick 4 me.
Zya Travis 77z

·
Registered
117 Posts
RE: Roger did the hacksaw trick work on your break

I just did it last night and will see over the next week if it was a fix. I also took the retaining pins and polished them in the lathe as I have heard they can contribute to the problem. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I think the pads I have are semi-metallic (they have flecks of metal in them) they are the lifetime pads from Auto Zone.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If It Doesn't Work...

The next stratagem is to wrap coarse sandpaper around a piece of wood, so the surface of the sandpaper remains flat, and sand the brake pad medium to remove any tiny high spots in the material. You can usually feel the high spots with your thumb.

Saw cuts and/or evening out the medium have always done the trick for me. Man, I hate those sanctimonious looks I get from guys in beat up Chevy Vegas when I pull up to a stop light in my nice ZX with the brakes howling!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: Autozone pads are barely average quality.

Get a better pad if you can't stand the noise. Application Engineered form MAPA or better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.