ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, has anyone had any dealings with Rising Sun Motors?
I'm thinking of getting a couple of L6 motors for 2 of my Z's and they sell the crate import motors at a pretty good price but would like to hear anything good or bad about them if possible. Thanks for any info.
B.W.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
RE: Rising Sun Motor's

If you get them at the very least I'd replace all the gaskets on them and check/replace the timing chain.

Depending on the year of the engine I really doubt too many 20 year old Z's are driving around Japan with under 60,000 miles on them just waiting to have the engines yanked and sent over here. They get the engines that they cant get from Japan from Wrecking yards here in the US then clean up the outside of them and crate them up.

I really shouldn't complain too much mine from them has 30,000 miles on it already but the compression was WAY lower than they claimed and the head gasket is going to need replaced to stop the water leak.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<b>RE: Rising Sun Motor's</b>

Thanks for the info, I told them I was after engines in the 81-83 year range with P90 heads. I've heard of the rumor of places using junk yard motors, I don't know of anyway to insure that these motors are from Japan, is there any proof that these folks do this? I only know the Jap's are supposed to replace their motors after 30,000mi or so and then they ship over here to resell. I'll just try one and if it pans out I'll get the other one. When I talk with them on the phone I'll remark about what you said and ask for the compression records of the motor they have to ship and if it doesn't match it will be sent back. I might be replacing the head with a N42 that is fairly new for a better CR but I was going to do that with another car that has the tripple mikuni's and huge cam but want to use the basic unchanged motor for the 240Z that's the oil burner.. Oh well, I'll keep my eye on this a lot closer, thanks lots....
B.W.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I believe that they mention it somewhere on their site that occassionally they have to fill in their stock with wrecking yard motors.

Direct quote from their website:

"We also bring in top-quality used engines and transmissions from all over the U.S. to make sure that we have one available for your car."

"Let's set the record straight right now. Regardless of what rumors you might have heard, there is no point at which car owners in Japan must change their engines or junk their cars. Used engines from Japan are available because of the unique combination of three factors:
The climate in Japan causes cars to rust out in very short order, usually no more than 7-10 years. Anyone who has ever lived in the eastern U.S. can undoubtedly relate to this.
The Japanese Car Inspection (JCI), or sha-ken as they call it in Japan, is a very rigorous bi-annual inspection of nearly 50 systems and components on the vehicle. Once a vehicle begins to have serious rust, it cannot pass the JCI, and the vehicle is scrapped.
The average Japanese drives his car much less than the average American. Some estimates claim about 50 percent less."

So I figure with the lifespan of the typical L6 engine being 200,000 or more miles they have plenty of solid ones to pick from here in the US. That's my main gripe is that they lead you to believe you are getting a very low milage engine while you could be getting an engine with 150,000 or more miles on it. So don't pass up a local one for one of theirs.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks a lot, shows how little I know or how little I read when I visit a web site (grin) but I really appreciate your input. I have a extra 75 motor sitting on a engine stand that I was debating if I wanted to rebuild it or being partally lazy to just get a import one. It was just word of mouth that told me the engines were yanked early because of their tight car laws but I see that was just garbage. Learn something new every day...
One thing I do know at least from a couple of friends who live over there working for Boeing aircraft. They say at least they take unusual care of their cars from what they've seen so I take that into account.
I wrote this place more e-mail asking them if these motors would be comming from japan but still I am at their mercy for honesty with this one. I wrote the BBB some e-mail also to see what info they have about this business and will wait to see if anything comes back about that. That import place has a link to the BBB as a reference but couldn't dig anything out of there yet. Oh well, it's always better to look for as much info first and I'll keep at it before spending money... thanks again for your input..
B.W.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

>>. It was just word of mouth that told me the engines were yanked early because of their tight car laws but I see that was just garbage. Learn something new every day...

Just about everyone I know talks about the engines being pulled because of smog laws over there.

>>I wrote this place more e-mail asking them if these motors would be comming from japan but still I am at their mercy for honesty with this one.

When I got mine from them I actually went there to get it. Was very impressed at first as the engine was all crated up and painted and clean looking. Over to the side they had more L6's all covered in gunk from cars that must have been totally neglected that weren't cleaned up to sell yet. Guess that shoulda scared me away.

Just my opinion but if you have an engine to rebuild and can afford it I'd go that way since it isn't much fun pulling an engine very often.

I'm not sure about the 280's over there but the "Fairlady's" in Japan didn't have 2.4 engines they had 2.0's I believe which would make it impossible for them to have a 240 engine from Japan and they had a couple.

If the problem with the cars over there is rust out and they tend to get about half the milage then I couldn't imagine many engines from pre 80's cars actually coming from there.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I think your right, I might have passed if I saw a bunch of sorry looking motors also. I've been pricing a rebuild and can do it for the same price with better options allowing for oversized pistons and the block work, wondering if I can get away with using flat top pistons in a 75 block, all the dimentions are the same as far as I can see so far though I wish that How to modify Datsun engines book would come out so I can get better info on doing something like this.I may have to use a thicker head gasket to get the compression down a little.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.