ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
280 Z has has had a sunroof installed. Worth the price now to do an off the frame restorationor has the sunroof conversion spoiled it for me, the third owner? If so, should I consider driving into the ground or selling it to someone who just needs transportation? All replies and inputs welcome.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>What's the Goal? Look Shooz....</b>

Hi Michael,

Being Shooz is on a self imposed restriction, I thought I'd send ya my 2 cents....

What is the goal of the car? Do you want a completely original car.... down to Nissan numbered plug wires? These are nice, but yea can't do that with an aftermarket sunroof in it... it just won't win ya anything.

How many restore jobs have ya done? If this is your first, I'd say get another car. Something rust free (if there is such a thing) and something that is very close to stock already.

On the other hand if you find something like the stock car above that is the same year as your 76 280Z, then you would have a good start with an extra parts car that you could drive while your other car is being restored.

Or... Just go for it.... I think I saw only 6 Z's at the West Coast Z National's that were completely stock. Two of them, were from the Nissan Dealer and were part of the Super Store restoration project on first generation 240's. One was a 73 240Z an Orange one that won first place in the 70 - 74 class. This guy had everything tho... 42k miles... window sticker.... everything looked new.... he took extremely good care of it... The paint on the firewall had as much gloss on it as the paint on the hatch... very clean... another guy stayed at the same hotel as I did. Had a 81 280 ZX, had purchased all the original parts including the plug wire set, and didn't even get a mention. Its a tough bunch of judges out there and if you have any aftermarket equipment on the car... forget it. It would be hard for a judge to miss a sunroof.

Look at the book called, How to restore your Datsun Z-Car by Wick Humble. Its easy to fine an has a wealth of information in it.

Then determine your strengths and weeknesses. Make your decision then.

Good Look..... Shooz! How did I do?

Dennis

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.