ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Z owner Lee here with a question about gear whine. I just bought a '77 280Z w/ factory 5-speed and 143 k miles. In first and second gear only there occurs a high pitched warbling whine. The freq. of the warble increases with rpm. Seems to shift fine in all gears and gears 3 thru 5 sound fine. Is this problem terminal? Repair or replace? Can the car be driven or should the problem be solved immediately?
Any and all advise is appreciated.
Thank you for the great web site. I have already learned quite a lot (in 5 days).

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RE: Remedy for whine in gears

I've got the same problem with a 5-speed I just put in my ' 72. I'm TOLD it's the input shaft bearing. Pull the tranny and look at the input shaft in the bell housing, at the base there's an odd shaped cover held in with (I think) 5 bolts. pull the cover and the bearing is supposed to be easy to access. You can wiggle the shaft a little and I'm told that is normal so you can't tell by excessive play in the shaft. I've had the tranny in about 2 weeks now and believe it or not I've gotten to kinda like the noise...gonna miss it, go figure

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: trans bearing kits sold here

We stock bearing kits with, or without syncros. Call for
applications, and prices. Joe 1-800-533-5659

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.