ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a look down lower in the stack of posts to where Tim Deeson and Jason are debating intercoolers. I am curious about tubing size for the IC runs, but you need to know what I am running to reply with a knowledgable answer. I thank those who reply, and would like to say it's because there is such an active forum and a fervent following for the cars that I have maintained my interest in Z cars. Thanks for being here. I wish there was a Muscle Pontiac Forum. Not the late model stuff.

·
Registered
42 Posts
RE: Recommend IC tubing size.

So Sorry,I dont know jack about IC systems,but pulleaze do not say that unholy word PONTIAC in this forum anymore...It's,it's,it's..heresy,that's what it is.No offense.Now will some one please give me some info on what i posted,jeezus christ what does it take to get noticed around here!!!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>RE: Recommend IC tubing size.</b>

I would say 3.5" is plenty.
I had seen a real race Honda at last wisit at the strip. I meant one which is gutted out with huge tubs for sleeks. The piping did not look huge. Neither did cooler. Hummm! Makes you thing maybe it is not the size what matters but quality. Hummm!!! Ohhhh wait I heard that before!! I know, I know! I will go ask my girlfriend to clear this matter for me. :+)

Eugene '83ZXT

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
RE: Recommend IC tubing size.

3.5?? no way. Somewhere between 2 and 2.5 inches. 2 for a bone stock and 2.5 for all out huge turbo race motor. Mine will be 2.25 and I'm sure most of the turbo guys here run 2 inch or 2.25 inch tubes. Use mandrel tubing, of course, and keep the length to a minimum.
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2.5" at the most, probably more like 2.25&quo

This is for a 2.8 liter turbo charged vehicle not a Freightliner tractor trailer with 20 liters. And this is for the intercooler tubing not the exhaust. If you go 3.5" you will be creating lag, maybe that was a typo. I think the formula for a cylinder if memory serves me is
length(pi r squared)...sh*t I am not sure it has been like 12 years since I have messed with those formaulas. That should give the volume/amount of air in that section of piping if you are curious. Anyway, with a fat turbo on a ZX engine I don't think you would ever go past 2.5" which is F-A-T! I think probably 2.25" would be about right. A 2' pipe at 12" length would have a volume of 37.69 cubic inches of air. A 2.25" pipe at 12" length would have a vol of 47.71cu inches. A 2.5" pipe at 12" lenght would have a volume of 58.9cubic inches. A 3.5" pipe at 12" would have a vol of 115cu inches. Big difference huh! Make sure to route the tubes as short as possible and make your curves smooth and straight as possible. Also, medrel bends, don't use cheap stuff. You get what you pay for. Also, before you make your decision go talk to a turbo shop that does it for a living all day long. A real turbo shop not some halfway house Asian(not being racist, they are usually the ones in the turbo scene though. you know hondas acuras etc) performance shop that contracts work out to someone else. Just make sure they know there **** and are not just speaking outta their ass. I have seen this all too many times. Good advice is hard to come buy especially when people talk like they know everything and they really know squat. Ask Jason Phillips, I believe he said he is building these system for a living. Good luck!
Later,
Tim Deesen

·
Registered
69 Posts
RE: I totally agree with Tim

Hi Opie83zxt,
I think Tim is giving you a very good avdvice. I use 2.25 inch. IC pipe in mine ( with a T3/T4) and it works great. Like Tim said, chose the shortest route possible and if you have the money,get those aluminum manrel bent tubes, and look very nice when polished and are better at heat-transfer.
Huy 260Z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<b>Did I say 3.5"? Oppps!</b>

Sorry boys! I meant to say 2.5".

You could not possibly think I would be saing that!!

Eugene.

PS. Read in the begining of the forum about something else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.