ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to be embarking on a 82 280zxt motor in a 78 swap and I keep hearing all of you talk about a down pipe and it being 2.25 2.5 or 3.0.... Now..not to sound to dumb...What is a Down pipe...I may already know but not by this name..could someone please explain.

Thanks
Ewan

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RE: Question on turbo?

Downpipe is the cast-iron exhaust pipe that is bolted on the back of the turbocharger. It's called that because it's a pipe that goes.... guess.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
RE: Question on turbo?

Opie83zxt wrote:
-------------------------------
Downpipe is the cast-iron exhaust pipe that is bolted on the back of the turbocharger. It's called that because it's a pipe that goes.... guess.

It goes down all right. Straight down, immediately after the turbo. Very restrictive stock. That's why they get replaced for performance with something that is bent with flow in mind. For the mildest of motors you can get away with a 2.5 inch replacement, but 3 inch is the best. Better downpipes lead to better spoolup, and potential for more boost capability.
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: But how you gonna get 3 inch to fit?

The stock turbine housing bolts prevent 3 inch from being welded up to the flange and still be able to bolt it on. I'm looking at a flange that looks like all you could get in would be a heavy 2.75. Three inch looks like it would have to be relieved so the nuts could spin on.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<b>RE: But how you gonna get 3 inch to fit?</b>

You would need to run the largest you can get away with from the mounting plate to about 2" past the turbo. You then get a pipe expanded to 3" to run the 3" downpipe. Should not make a difference since the turbine wheel opening is considerably smaller.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.