ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I put the p90 head on a 78z block what compression would I get . Would this make a viable turbo motor . Would the rings last . Can you guys list the diffences in block and pistons between turbo motor and N/A motor .

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: Question on compression</b>

Different piston and ring configuration. Also, rings are abit more durable. Should be high 7's or so in compression. You will want to use the turbo shortblock.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>RE: Question on compression</b>

I cant really answer your question but, the P90 head has extra water jackets, this should pose no problem on your block, but, I would recommend an F54 block also like "240Zturbo" recommends.FYI 81-83 280zx block.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<b>Don't sweat the block choice for street</b>

The CR will be around 7.4:1. About what a z turbo motor has. Depending on the boost I wouldn't sweat the block choice. I have run with no prob 10 - 12 psi boost on an early config ('75 n47). Currently I am running the N/A '81 motor @ 10psi making 260+ hp to the wheels (300+ to the flywheel), again with no prob.

If you are going to build some monster motor or anything past 20psi, I might worry about putting together the 'best' pieces. Personally I would run a beater motor first and get a taste of turbocharging, then decide where to go.

Had a great race pulling ahead of a C-5 on the highway to 150mph. Got a big smile an a thumbs up from him though.

Rcr X

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.