ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I put a new water pump cause it was leaking slightly.
It was also overheating on the highway so I thought that would cure it. My thermostat is also new. The car seems to doing OK In up to 65-70 degrees telperatures, where the needle stays below the middle, about 180 degrees. On hoter days though the and especially after 30 minutes driving or 10-15 minutes going 70's the temperature rises to 3/4's of the gauge. Putting air condition on and you are approaching red lines. Putting heat on and it approaches the middle. I have good flow, and the fan is working.....and doesn't seem to be related since it is mostly highway driving that does that.....So I guess radiator probs. I tryed some radiator cleaner that you leave in for about 6 hours with the engine running and nothing. Yes I think a lot of dirt and foam came out but on th ehighway in around 80's temperature....same probs.
My temp for the 8 years that I have the 280ZX was always below the center line.
I think that it's the radiator.
Any hints.
Any hints on cleaning it better, cause I am ready to put liquid plumber in there HA HA HA (semi serious--- Of course with the radiator disconnected)
So is there any way to save the radiator?
Please help cause summer is approaching quickly.
PS, Could it be something else?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RE: Overheating !!! Now what ???

probably the radiator. I have had several just "go" bad for no reason it seems...Take it a radiator shop and they will flow test it for usualy nothing..that will really tell you ya know..

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Take it to a radiator shop and have it recored. Don't mess around with it, you will be replacing the head gasket if you do. Should cost less that $100.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
check that new water pump

This is what happened to me. I replaced my water pump because it was leaking slightly. While refilling the radiator I saw water moving. As soon as I drove the car around it overheated. I took everything apart and found no problems so I finally checked the water pump (afterall, it was new). I grabbed the impeller and the pulley shaft and they would turn in opposite directions, impeller was barely pressed on to shaft. At idle there was enough grip to function normally but at higher rpm it would slip. Let the engine warm up to open the thermostat and check the flow at higher rpms' through the radiator fill neck, should really be moving

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get Dennis to Give You the $5.

If your engine's been allowed to run hot, you could very likely have a blown head gasket, especially if you've been using methane-additive gasoline. I'd suggest you do a simple compression check before you replace a perfectly good radiator.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hey. I just had a similar problem. It turned out to be my head gasket.

My car was was running hot, but not redlining. My heater core went bad recently before, so I had rerouted the hoses so that the water wouldn't flow through the heater core (probably the pressure blew out my heater core). I had a brand new radiator, I installed a new water pump when the problem started getting worse (didn't fix it), put a new thermostat in it (didn't fix it), and the problem was just getting worse. It turned out that there was hole in my head gasket which was allowing water to be forced out on the compression stroke (but what was weird was I didn't notice a big drop in water level-maybe my makeshift overflow tank was helping). I could see bubbles in the coolant, though, when the engine was running, and there was always pressure under the radiator cap. I hope it isn't that for you, but that is kind of the last answer when nothing else works. Hey, on the bright side, it was an excuse to get all kinds of needed work done to my head.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Pressure test the system, in addition to all of the other advice, this should confirm if you happen to have a blown headgasket, or cracked head.
Also, I always use Nissan waterpumps, they aren't much more than the aftermarket ones.
We sell new 3 core radiators for $159.00+ S&H with a year exchange warranty against defects. Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.