Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys
I was looking around for a project car and my friend told me I should build a Z. I liked the way his car looked and all with the spoiler and Ground effects But I didn't think that it had the performance that I was looking for. After driving the car and riding around in it for awhile I have decided to build a 240 Z. I have a friend that has a 1982-1983 Z X 2+2 with turbo and he offered the whole car to me only problem it is that it's a automatic and I want a stick. My questions areThanks A lot for helping me Out I'm kind of knew to Z's
1.Can I adapt a 5 speed to The Z X engine

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RE: Newbie Q's

It's much easier to start with a stick if you want a stick! Most 240Z have the 5-speed stick so that is a good choice if your looking to restore or customize!

·
Registered
403 Posts

Umm no most 240's do NOT have a 5 speed, they came with a 4 speed, and unless someone has gone to the trouble (not that it's really any trouble) of switching to one, a 240 is going to have a 4 speed. But to answer James' newbie questions, it is possible to switch them. Keep in mind that the pedal box is there already, so you'll need the pedal, master cyl for the clutch, the hardlines for fluid, the slave cyl, the new tranny of course, Flywheel (instead of driveplate) pilot bearing, clutch assy, throwout bearing, sleeve for throwout bearing, driveshaft from manual transmission donor car. I've probably missed a few small items but this is basically what you need. Just find a donor at a junkyard with a 5 speed (which will probably be a ZX not a Z) and get the transmission. Get the rest from a Z not a ZX that has a 4 speed (unless you're lucky and find a 78 Z with a factory 5speed). Also, to go with the 5 speed out of a ZX, try and get the differential out of a ZX, as it's better matched to the gearing than the stock one in you Z will be. You'll probably end up spending 300-400 dollars by the time you're done with this project.

·
Registered
403 Posts

Sorry kinda misread your question james. Yes the 5 speed out of another Z will bolt right up to the turbo engine. (you'll still need all the equipment I mentioned if you car doesn't have a stick already, but if it does you at least don't have to screw with the pedal, clutch cyl etc. You will need to make sure you have the other stuff like the flywheel etc)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
All z East has em

hiya james,

All Z east sell conversion kits i'm pretty sure. Forgot how much they were but e-mail [email protected]
and ask about it.:) Hope that helps. By the way why you getting a 280ZX 2+2;P , get a 240Z! lol
Zya
yuichi
72 240Z
81 280zX

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.