Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
ive got my door off my car trying to put a new panel on it but i cant get the da#m window handle off any body know how please respond quick, its getting cloudy
PS its a 77 thanks
JZ

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>Remove the clip</b>

Hi JZ,

There is a clip behind the round part of the handle that is right next to the door panel. The clip is "u" shaped and the last time I pulled mine. I used a clip removing tool that I picked up at the auto parts store. Its flat and has an opening to push the clip off the post. This tool is cheap and thats how I would do it.

If you don't have one, I have seen guys hook it and get it out. Sometimes they markup the door panel and sometimes they don't... luck of the draw I guess.

If you tear up the door panel it can be replaced with a new one for just over $200.00

Go buy the tool..... the mounting is all the same on 70 to 78's.

Dennis

Dennis

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
RE: Remove the clip

I just use a flathead screwdriver, but then again my panels aren't that great to begin with so I'm not worried about small scratches. It would probably be much easier with a proper tool, one of these days I'll get around to buying one.

·
Registered
74 Posts
RE: Remove the clip

You can take a shop rag and run it between the panel and the handel and drag it against the clip...usually it will get caught on the rag and pull it out.....handel is now removed.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<b>Clip Removal Tool</b>

I like the clip removing tool because its also a great aid for putting that little darn clip back on. I know what you mean about a flat head screwdriver. I just haven't had much luck in using one for this type of job. I think I paid less then $5 for my tool, but that was back when I was building Camaro's.... yeha... Sorry Z fans!

I think the clip removing tool is a good investment. I don't use mine often, but when I need it. Its great to have it on hand to use. Something about what my Dad told me about using the right tool for the right job. I guess that stuck.... or did it come from my auto shop teach in high school. O'well, I think ya get my point.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<b>Grand Auto</b>

There's a Grand Auto in my area that's close. I bought it there. I have seen them in part stores tho. Ask if you can't find it. It doesn't look like what you might thing a clip remover should.

Dennis

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RE: use a shop rag

I use a shop rag as that way you don't lose the clip. It takes a couple of seconds to remove it, and there is no damage to the panel. Everyone has one of these tools.

I had a customer ask how to put the clip back on, it seems he was putting the handle up to the panel, and then didn't have any room to put the clip in! I'm serious!
I maintained a polite attitude through the 3 phone calls
he made to us until he got it back on.
We hear some real good ones in this business.
Another customer filled his oil up until the oil was at the
top of his valve cover!
Life is great, and we all have our weak moments, Joe

·
Registered
680 Posts
RE: use a shop rag

Is it diffent on a 280zx turbo how would u get the door panle off? I just need to tighten the passager side mirror

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.