ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me want to install my 16x7"wheels but need spacers .From what I've read in the archives I need to find 3.5"spacers so my zero offset wheels wil fit correctly.I also understand that the bolt pattern 4x114.3mm must match.So where can I find these spacers?THANKS JIM 76 280z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RE: Need 3.5"Wheel spacers

jim.i madea set of wheel spacers for my 16X7koing tuner 134'sthe offset was for a honda front w drive
would be willing to talk to you about making them for you.please e mail me.if your e mail comes back to you please try my work e mail [email protected]
look fwd to hearing from u

·
Premium Member
40,971 Posts
RE: Need 3.5"Wheel spacers

I've seen John's spacers--they are NICE. They also open up the world of neat wheels to us Zedders that have previously been reserved for the FWD crowd with ridiculous offsets! Lots of Honda/Acura guys have more money than sense, and "get rid" of wheels when they aren't "cool" any more. Send them this way, EH?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DANGER Will Robinson..Any Hi HP Spacers out there?

I would think twice about doin that. A 3.5" spacer is a little to far IMHO. Think about how much extra force your wheel bearings will have to endure. Personally I think this is asking for trouble. If you do get some make sure they are high quality and not just some cheesball pieces of **** that will cause you to loose a wheel. If you find some good ones that are proven I would be interested in seeing a pic and some specs on them. I have thought about this also, put I fear putting out 300HP at the rear would snap any 3.5" spacers. If anyone knows or manufacturer spacers that will hold up to some major ponies I would like to here from them/you. I don't think I would want to go 3.5" even still, but the thought of running other rims is very attractive.
Later,
Tim Deesen
71' 240ZT
73' 240ZT
CA "TS 240ZT"

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<b>READ THIS FOR SPACERS>>>>></b>

FOR THE ZX, YOU CAN PUT AN 8" RIM UP FRONT, 10" IN BACK, I HAVE A SPACER KIT FROM NISSAN COMP.
THE KIT HAS 16 PRESS IN 2.5 WILL STUDS, WITH 4, 1"
ALUMINUM SPACERS, I HAD THE BACK SPACERS SHAVED TO 3/4" AND PUT 16X8 ARE RIMS ON WITH
245/45/16BFG. NOT REALLY SURE WHY PEOPLE WANT
3.5" SPACERS

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<b>RE: READ THIS FOR SPACERS>>>>></

I have a 72 i would like to put 16 by 7 on them.
but there really no sellection
only centerline wheel can make something for me.i want something more wild.if i use a
front wheel drive offest wheels with spacers
on my car do i have to shave off some of the body inorder for it to fit.

·
Premium Member
40,971 Posts
RE: DANGER Will Robinson..Any Hi HP Spacers out th

Tim D! John's spacers were used to correct the offset of the FWD Honda rims he picked up. By correcting the offset, he turned the rims into Z rims, as opposed to Zero offset rims with spacers to fit a particular body/strut combination (in reality making them offset the ammount of spacers. I believe the "spacers" he used bolted to the hub, with new studs for mounting the wheels. Kinda more like adapters than spacers...
But you are correct, improper offset will make bearing loads go way up. Outboard front bearings aspecially.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spacers don't turn them into Z offset rims

Think about it this way, the spacers will allow you to fit the wheel under there, but the geometry will still be screwed up! One of the most important parts are where the center section connects to the outer part of the rim. Does that make sense? Say you have a rim that is 8 inches wide, if you put the connecting portion at exactly 4" in the middle, then you would have the optimal load balance if the mounted near that point as well. It's a little hard for me to explain, you should draw a picture to better understand how the different offsets for the center portion of the rim will effect the load that is placed on the bearings. Spacing and offset are two different things. You can add all the spacer in the world, but if you don't change the portion that connects to the outter part of the rim, then you have changed the true offset of the rim. Do you understand what I am getting at. I have seen some sweet ass spacers on a Z before, but that is a bandaid approach because you really are not fixing the offset of the center section. Most people don't really think that far when it comes to offset. Most just think if you move it out further then it should be fine right? WRONG! Think off adding those 3.5" as a lever arm that increases the amount of force that is applied to the bearings. The furder you move it out, the greater the leaver arm will be and the greater force. Now I am not sure what the acceptable range for the extra lever arm of force being applied is. Imagine if you where going 100mph how much hotter those bearing would get with that extra force. Just some thoughts.
Later,
Tim Deesen

·
Premium Member
40,971 Posts
AAAH, effective torque. I seee.

Yes, ISC. Torque from outboard mounting would cause gremlins.I have once again eaten my foot. :-(
Sometimez I get korn-fuzed...

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UH OH!

I think I'm gonna regret this but I disagree. Actually, rather than being concerned how far out the rims bolt to the hubs you should think of where the verticle centerline of the tire relates to the centerline of the bearing(s). keep in mind the bearings are supporting the weight of the car. Hubs and spindles and lug nuts and rims are bolted together and rigid, they could be welded together and still work as designed, now picture moving the tire inwards directly over the bearings(which positive offset rims will do to some extent), Isn't the center of weight pushing on the bearing squarely, rather than on the outside edge of the bearing that a zero offset with spacers or negative offset rim would do, with those, you're moving the center of weight on the tire outwards. OK got my shooz off and waitin' for my next meal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.