ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Replace tranny? Q: can plstic bushing be replaced?

My '76 stick did the same thing. Fortunately, one of the first upgrades I did to my car was to put in a 5-speed, and luckily the stick on that tranny doesn't wobble. I think it's possible to change the plastic bushing that secures the mid-section of the shift lever. It's that bushing which is worn and allows the stick to wobble and rattle. **** annoying I know, and I'm just glad I never really had to deal with it.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just replace bushings in shift lever

I have had to replace the bushings on every Z I have owned. They are available from Motorsport for about $6.00, as I recall. Not too hard to do. First, remove the console, then remove the upper boot on the shift lever, then the c-clip on the shift lever pivot. Lift out the shift lever and insert the two plastic bushings into each side of the shift lever pivot, and re-insert into the transmission. Replace the pivot pin and c-clip If the upper boot has any rips, replace it at the same time. Helps eliminate any fumes.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a fix for this posted on WWW

I found a FAQ on how to put a brass pipe fitting into the opening and it worked great. The article is on <A HREF=http://www.zhome.com> ZHOME </A> scroll down the index frame until you find "Technical Articles" it's under "Drivetrain"

Happy shifting

Steve G

·
Premium Member
40,971 Posts
made mine from stainless 10yrs ago.

no wear as of yet, best thing for shift feel. Anyone make a metal "snapon" piece to replace the thingie on the END of the shifter?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.