107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: look'n for an intercooler to buy(</b>

the reason why i ask if two can go in one because,
dave k ask this quetion?
"has any body welded two i/c
together?"i would like to know to?don't mean to be an ass but
are we being stupid.or is this
a comman thing.i want to know should i buy one or two?
thanks for the help.
one more quetion.
how much is shipping now a days?i"m 4hours away from Fargo,North Dakota.Is shipping going to kill me!!!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>where have you been??? more>>></b>

I have been posting for sale items all the time. any way I have built 3 system using the starion/conquest intercooler. i sold 2 of them and one supra. the supra intercooler is best, starions work very good, e-mail opie83zxt he will have an extra intercooler since i sold him one off a supra.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<b>where have you been??? more>>></b>

I have been posting for sale items all the time. any way I have built 3 system using the starion/conquest intercooler. i sold 2 of them and one supra. the supra intercooler is best, starions work very good, e-mail opie83zxt he will have an extra intercooler since i sold him one off a supra. and they can be welded however you
probably wont find the end tanks that will fit, call spearco for new core prices.

·
Registered
22 Posts
twin intercoolers

I went ahead and got two i/cs. I'm still contemplating welding them, glad you brought up the subject again. I've also been thinking about running the two in series or parallel (though this would cost a fortune on piping). I wonder if anyone has ever done this?? Shipping is not bad at all, I think it cost 8$ to ship one from IN to PA.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<b>re re re re re re re er</b>

WHY, IF YOU ARE CREATING OR WILLING TO SPEND, JUST BUY THE CORE FROM SPEARCO 500.00
BESIDES THE CONQUEST IC WILL FLOW TO 300 HP, THE SUPRA WILL DO UPWARDS OF 400HP, IF YOU WANT COMPACT, GET AIR TO WATER INTERCOOLER, VERY SMALL AND VERY EFFICIENT.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Supra better??? WHY? Starion IC For Sale $100

Where do come up with the Supra IC being better than the Starion IC. I have some friend in So. Cal that have used both and tested them out and did some research. Bottom line is the Supra is bigger but less effecient and the Starion is slightly smaller but more efficient. I was thinking about the Supra one for a while and then found this info out and said why bother. You reffering to the first gen of IC supras right? The one with the funky tanks that is all black. Bottom line IMO is go for the Starion IC or go for a real after market one from Bell or whomever. I plan on installing a Starion IC in my Z this summer and had the option of getting the Supra IC. If there is any info that you have on the Supra IC please share. BTW I have two Starion IC and I am selling one for $100 plus shipping or $150 including a bunch of hoses and pipes plus shipping. Shipping to most areas shouldn't be more than $15 tops in the US. Email me or phone at (650)829-1956. BIGGER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER :) Look at the Z for example!
Later,
Tim Deesen
71' 240ZT
73' 240ZT(summer project)
CA "TS 240ZT"

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<b>THERE ARE LOTS OF FACTORS</b>

THE STARION/INTERCOOLER WORKS FINE, I USED THEM MANY TIMES, FOR PEOPLE WHO USE T4/T3 UPGRADES WILL NEED A LARGER INTERCOOLER. IF INTERCOOLER IS TOO SMALL BOOST RESPONSE IS NOT GOOD, TURBO HAS TO WORK OVERTIME, TOO BIG FOR APPLICATION THEN COMPRESSED AIR FLOWS THROUGH TO FAST AND DOES NOT GET COOLED(HENCE INEFFICIENT)GRANTED SOME INTERCOOLERS DO LOWER INTAKE CHARGE CLOSER TO AMBIENT TEMPS AS OPPOSED TO OTHERSBUT THERE ARE LOTS OF FACTORS, MOST PEOPLE USE STARION/CONQUEST SINCE THEY ARE FAR MORE ABUNDANT IN THE SALVAGE YARDS. THE SUPRA INTERCOOLER HAS THE SAME DIAMETER PLUMBING AS THE DISCHARGE TUBE ON THE ZXT, AND INLET AND OUTLET ARE EASY TO WORK WITH, IF YOU ARE THAT CONCERNED WITH SLIGHT DIFFS IN INTAKE CHARGE TEMP THEN GET AN AIR TO WATER CORE. FOR STOCK APPLICATIONS THE STARION IS OK, LARGER APPLICATIONS YOU NEED BIGGER,
IF YOU NEEED FURTHER GUIDENCE CALL JIM WOLF AT 619-442-0680
HE COULD BETTER EXPLAIN WHY TO MATCH THE RIGHT SIZE INTERCOOLER TO THE TURBO UPGRADE ONE MIGHT UNDERTAKE?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<b>AND >>>>>>>></b>

ALSO CORKEY BELL AT CARTEC CAN GUIDE ANYONE ON THE INTERCOOLER ISSUE, CARTEC HAS LONG BEEN DOING TURBO KITS AND AFTERMARKET INTERCOOLER KITS FOR 280ZX( I HAVE THE CARTEC KIT)

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re:There are lots of factors cont.

Hey Jason, please depress your caplock button when writing it is hard to read and is considered YELLING on the Internet when you use all UPPER CASE LETTERS. Second, as far as ICs are concerned if you are using a stock IC with the stock T3 this should be fine. Other factors that are taken into consideration for turbo lag are pressure drop accross the IC. If you have to compress the air charge so much more prior to entering the IC then you will be increasing the air temperature by having to increase the amount of work that the turbo needs to do adding energy(heat) to the air charge prior to the IC. As far as your theory on lag is concerned you are over looking that lag can be created by several different factors. Yes, lag can be created by having too much restriction, but it can also be created by having an IC that is too big or IC piping that is too big or IC piping that is too small causing too much restriction or odd sized piping. If your IC is too big there is that much more air that needs compressed between the turbo outlet and the cylinders. There are physically more cubic inches of air that need to pressurized/compressed/boosted and that also plays in turbo lag. As far as the Starion IC and turbo lag are concerned, I think the Starion IC would be the best choice(non aftermarket) to keep turbo lag to a minimum when adding on an IC. Any time you add an IC or longer/bigger piping between the turbo and the throttle body you will be increasing the turbo lage time. This is a given. That why you wouldn't want say three inch piping for your IC setup. Like I said it can be to small as well. The starion intercoolers are design to supply compressed air to a 2.6Liter engine at up I believe 14 or 14.5 PSI of boost, this is stock. Now I would recommend this setup to anyone running upto maybe 13psi on a 280ZXT engine that is 2.8liters. Like you said, these items should be matched. These being the engine displacement and demand for air supply, the turbo, and the intercooler. Also ther factors: how much turbo lag do want vs what you max boost/horsepower, where do you want it to develop it power on the bandwidth, going for 1/4 mile top speed, going for autocross usability, and more. If your planning on putting in an $800 turbo, then you should plan on upgrading the rest of your system as well. Other factors, intake, exhaust, fuel supply etc..... I am sure guy can make 280ZX engines that produce 500HP, but how usable is it? I plan to autocross my 240ZT this summer, so turbo lag is a concern to me, i think it is more important than having max horsepower. So I will probably never buy a turbo that is huge and capable of supplying enough air for 500HP. Well I think you all understand what I am getting at. IMHO go for whatever IC is less expensive, both can be used and have about the same results. But try both if you have that option. See for yourself. Just remember to keep the piping a consistant size during the majority of the plumbing if not all. Good luck!
Later,
Tim Deesen
71' 240ZT
73' 240ZT(summer project)
CA "TS 240ZT"

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<b>and i thought i wrote to much, ehe!!</b>

I am not sure how this ic debate started. none the less
i built many ic systems, starion,supra, cartec, as i have said time and time again, there is nothing wrong with starion ic for stock turbo applications. the supra car ran a much bigger turbo, big enough to flow the ic, infact HKS has these cars going to 425bhp on the stock ic, tell me you want the starion in place of the supra,
my only point is at this power level supra is better,the 83zxt can only make
265bhp on STOCK injection,
enough to trash any rustang cobra or 5.0. **** even stock
300zxtt.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree

Just wanted to point out going between stock T3 and modified setups that cost well over 1k to do right(T3/T4, big IC,Inj etc). Not arguing or disagreeing, just pointing out other factors involved in the process.
Later,
Tim Deesen

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RE: Recommend IC tubing size HERE.

I got the T03/T04b turbo and a Supra IC from Jason. I also got a TWM Big-Throat to go with it. I bought a Starion IC, too. I think I'm going to try them both, intercoolers that is, and I will let you know what I find out. I feel the thicker core and design of the Starion looks more flow-worthy or whatever. But the Supra has a little bigger piping in and out. It was designed for a more powerful engine and a six cyl to boot. The size diff of the piping is not so much that it will cause a detrimental situation to the flow. It is a slight difference, 3/16". However, a slight increase does make some difference. The rule is, if you double a pipe's size, you quadruple it's flow capacity.
What do you turbo guys recommend for TUBING SIZE for this type of setup? Remember I have a T04b and a Big-Throat. The turbo comrpessor outlet has an id of 1 & 13/16", the Supra IC inlet is 1 & 13/16" id as well. I figured two inch to the IC, but where should I increase the size to the BIG-THROAT? It's inlet is, what, a little larger than 2 & 1/4". It does have a veturi effect, decreasing to the actual flapper which is 2 & 1/4". Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.