ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1982 280ZXT back in Aug. of 97, didn't register it because it needed alot of repairs and been working on it ever since. Now that I've got everything fixed and running nice I can not transfer the title because the Vin numbers don't match the ones on the car. Well at the time I bought the car I was working so much overtime, the car matter just got pushed aside.
Anyway all I have is the bill of sale and the seller has since moved and can't find him.
Here is the thing, I called the State Patrol to try to find out if this car was ever reported stolen. Well she kind of laughed at me saying if she gave out that kind of information, all crooks would be calling in find out if a certain car is stolen?? I don't get it why would a crook call the police station
to find out if car he has stolen is reported stolen?
Anyway she suggested I bring the car in and have it inspected and if the car is not on the stolen list, I can get a title waiver good for 3 years after which I could obtain a legitimate title to the car. Ah but the catch, if the car is on the stolen list, they ( the police ) get the car and the only looser is me. Even though I have a signed bill of sale, I think I could be chagred with recieving stolen merchandice or something.
Fact is, if the car is indeed found on the stolen vehicle list. I'm gonna be out nearly $2000 bucks. Is there by any legal means to get that information? I mean I understand if it really was stolen, it would be nice for the owner to get it back. But the last tag for the car was in 1995, He or she has problebly gotten over it by now! Please any and all suggetion ( as long as it is legal!) would be appreciated.
thanks
Tom H.

·
Premium Member
40,975 Posts
RE: Legal Advice--Well Suggestions

maybe the DMV--title search. Just go in with your bill of sale, as long as the BOS has the correct numbers on it.
another option: put a mechanics' lein on it BEFORE you have the title researched. if they take it, the owner owes you the money you put in it. He doesn't pay, you "repossess" the car. You could try to do a simple lein sale on the car, too, but it would require some doing, and isn't too pratical unless you know someone with a business towing cars or as a garage.
there's many ways "around" the law--but those are the legal things you could try.
My Fairlady had a title when I got it, but it was stolen. I currently have a clear title and current plates on the it,WITHOUT ever showing the title that was stolen from me. but I won't go into that here...
Go to your DMV, get the regulations, read them. There's always a way. Good luck, and check the numbers next time, EH?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Get the Vin plates!

Thats the easy way out heheheh, Find the matching Vin plates and attach that to the Z. and if it is stolen well....:( i feel sorry for you man.
best of luck
yuichi

·
Premium Member
40,975 Posts
Yuichi, that's a FEDERAL, rap...

Heh heh, and then there was a guy who cut up this nice 83ZXT with clear numbers. Seriously, he just wanted the driveline and mirrors. He cut it up with a sawzall within the last month, after it sat in his yard for a year. All you would have had to do is transfer all the parts over. He destroyed the VIN tags as all good little boys do, and he notified the DMV of the death of the car. He's not wanting the DOT to set up a perimiter and shoot HIS dogs and wifey...
I think I'll go check my legumes in the bunker now...
OH!I mean BASEMENT, yeah CELLAR, not bunker...
LOL

·
Premium Member
40,975 Posts
seriously...

Tom, I'm not sure what state you're in, but a friendly police officer with a radio could run the VIN through the system and show if it's stolen. Do you have any Law Enforcement buddies? In CA, the if valuation of the car is less than $2500 it can go on a "short lein" that takes 30-45 days. In a nutshell, the holder of the lein sends certified letters to the three previous registered owners saying the car's going to be sold. Nobody shows, you take possession of the vehicle and go get a title and registration in your name as a lein sale purchase. This is how tow yards can sell the vehicles they tow off the street, and mechanic's can take your car if you don't pay them for services rendered. You can even do it if it's parked on your property illegally... Wheels turning yet? You should check that out, as 30-45 days is a lot shorter than 3 years. BTW, if it's valued on the books as over $2500, it goes "long lein" and it takes a bit longer--usually at least 90 days, but it still can be done. Consult a lawyer or the previously mentioned sources to set up your own Lein! Don't swap VIN's off another car--that's REALLY asking for trouble!!! BIG TIME illegal.
Again, good luck.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE: Legal Advice--Well Suggestions

What a bum deal!! Don't know if this will help or not...but in AZ they have salvage titles that junk yards use...might investigate this avenue with the state you are in, along with previous suggestions.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
try a title search, check this site out

It didn't paste, but try carprices.com. Its the carfax lemon check, I found it by searching hotbot, exact phrase, "automobile title search", it was the 3rd one down

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.