ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always search the forum before posting (it's a great way to read up and not flood the forum with repetative questions), but couldn't find an answer.

I cannot push the u-joints out of my R200 halfshafts. I have removed the circlips, and soaked with WD40. I've used two techniques so far :

1. using a drift and socket, pounded with a hammer and not a budge. I mushed the end of the socket.

2. same as #1 in a vise and clamped down until I thought my vise would pull out of my workbench.

I cannot pay a machine shop to do this for me. I'm too poor and too stubborn.

Is there some other techniques or tips?

Thanks...Robroy

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RE: I've got stiff u-joints!

Hey there...
I had similar problems a few weeks ago. I "attempted" to follow the guidelines as are in the Haynes manual, which says you can tap it out with a rubber mallet, I tried tapping it out with a hammer and a rod all that good stuff... However, you have to remember, those things have probably been rusted into place for 20 odd years. In the end I had to do the following...

I took the halfshaft into my yard, had the yokes sitting on an angle on a piece of wood. Took a sledgehammer. And gave it a good wack. They seperated perfectly well. Then I just used a vice to press in the new joints. Be sure to mark the yokes so that you know how they line up, they are balanced.

Brett
'77Z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>RE: I've got stiff u-joints!</b>

I'll give it a whack...but I'm curious, did you just whack the yoke, or did you set a socket on the cap and hit the cap?

Oh, and does it matter which one you start with? The companion flange yoke vs. the halfshaft yoke?

Thanks...

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: I've got stiff u-joints!

Roy,
I didn't use a socket or anything. I actually hit the halfshaft yoke at an angle (kinda in between the two yokes... think bent and angled)... In anycase. The yokes are pretty tough, just don't go overboard. The hammer I used was kinda a midsized one. I can't say a # or weight, but i can say it was only a halflenght handle. Not a full size sledge hammer...

brett

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just the question on my mind

I just removed the halfshafts yesterday and couldn't free up the u-joints. I'll try this before I take them to have them pressed out by my mech.

Thanks

·
Registered
804 Posts
Just like Removing tie rods!

I was also stubborn as a mule and wouldn't go and get a ball joint or tie rod wrench. The one that looks like a big fork. Instead I just whacked the yoke and thunk, it came apart. Same thing here. Just relieving the pressure. Am I right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.