Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car has a low idle at cold start, which I think is the
Air Regulator. Here's the latest, though: Certainly before the car warms up, and now sometimes after a long drive, it dies if the revs drop below 2K or so; could be at a stop light, could be between lazy shifts. It just feels like the car loses interest and shuts off, sometimes hovering around 200rpm before dying. Almost always preceeded by clicking from the FI relay. Put on a new relay; same result. Switched to spare ECU; same result. Tomorrow I pull off and clean up the Air Regulator, also replace fuel filter. Any other ideas?
Fuel Pump? Also, AFM is less than one year old, so its not suspect.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: it just dies</b>

how do you know about the AFM. I have had brand new parts fail right out of thebox, and I've been selling auto parts for 7 years now. BTW, what year and model?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: it just dies

Your problem is vapor lock. It is a common failure to early z's. The cheapest remidy is to insulate your fuel lines near the eagine and exspecially the fuel pump. Be sure to use a thin high temperature insulaiton such as HVAC insulation to do the job. Also, you may want to consider changing the thermostat to a cooler one. (160 degrees will do).

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<b>RE: it just dies, to Curt</b>

After installing clear fuel lines in the engine compartment so i could monitir fuel flow, I noticed that when the car begins to stall, there is no movement
in the fuel return line. When
the car is running normal, there is constant flow. Is this related? I was thinking
it was the fuel pressure regulator.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE: it just dies

Check for a good ground contact at the battery for the FI relay's coil. Also make sure your battery is not operating at less then a full charge--as RPM;s fall off, the alternator may not be putting out enough current to over come a failing battery, and the ignition system will not function properly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.