ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't noticed my cooling fan that vents over the top of the engine running when I shut the car off lately. Isn't it always supposed to click on, or only when I've been running it hard? Is it toasted. It is supposed to come on when the engine is shut off, right? Do I have to fix it immediately or can it go a while without harming things?
Thanks!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RE: Injector cooling fan

It's my opinion that the injector cooling fan is worthless for its intended purpose. No amount of blowing on the fuel rail will affect the temperature of the tips of the injectors which are buried in very hot aluminum and probably cool at the same rate as the engine. It's the tips of the injectors that buildup of gasoline deposits occurs.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>RE: Injector cooling fan</b>

My understanding is that this is supposed to lower the temperature of the fuel in the rails. This keeps it from boiling and creating vapor gaps in the fuel. When these occur, the car will hesitate and even backfire until these gaps are gone. I have seen this occur, and it will stop within a minute of startup. This will be annoying, but I don't think it would cause any damage. Still, it would be worth fixing.

·
Registered
345 Posts

Patrick has it right. The blower is intended to stabilize the temp. of the fuel in the rails. It does work and is engineered by Nissan to perform this function. As we all know (especially me) vapor lock is a real problem on Z's. Believe me, if it was worthless Nissan wouldn't have spent the extra $20+ a car to put them on. I believe there is a timer/temp circuit the blower is wired to (two wires to fan + a ground lug). It is unlikely the squirrel cage blower is faulty (disconnect the wires and jump the red one to the battery + to verify). If it does not come on as we get warmer weather (I know you are in Texas Brian) then I would look to see if the blower relay is functional. I believe you will find the relay on the passenger side in front of the strut tower in a black housing (there are actually several relays there).

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<b>RE: Injector cooling fan</b>

Does it only run when the engine is off? Will it come on when sitting at a light?
Thanks!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I don't know what it is for but I wired mine to run all of the time. It has worked for me for.

·
Registered
345 Posts
RE: wired all the time

The fan only needs to run after shutdown to perform it's function. Air from the engine fan and/or front intake takes care of under hood temp the rest of the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.