ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 4.11 but Im not sure if I want to use it or get a 3.90. The main reason is I dont race all that much and this car is daily driven. Is anyone using 4.11 gears with the first 280 5 speed on a daily driver? How is the freeway?

Please help me out.

Adam
73 240

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
RE: Im confused on 4.11

Hiya Adam,

Adam I'm no pro with this but this is what i know, If you want to have a daily driver I recommend you don't go with the 4.11 because this will slow down your top speed to about like 90mph? i'm not sure but it does cut down on your top speed, But if you wanna race it will get you from like 0-60 very fast:) a lot faster then a 3.9 that is, but if you want this as a commute car I recommend you stay with the 3.9:)
hope this helped your desicion some
Zya
yuichi
p.s. e-mail me at [email protected] if you don't want the 4.11 anymore I know someone who wants one:)

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Is the trans from a 280Z, not a 280ZX? I have a gear chart in front of me.. with a 3.9 and a 280Z 5 speed, you get a final 5th gear ratio of 3.37 which is the same as 4th gear on a stock 240 (3.36 diff) With a 4.11 it will put the ratio up to 3.55, adding a couple hundred RPM's on the freeway. Depends what you're looking for I suppose, faster starts or smoother cruising.

Can't offer any first hand experience, I'm in the research and fix other problems first phase right now. Thinking about a '81/82 trans with a 4.11 ..

·
Registered
59 Posts

I have the 4.11, early 5-sp in mine. To be honest the 3.90 is about optimum. The 4.11 makes first and second very twichy, kind of a handful in traffic. But I commute every day with it.
I may change to a later 5-speed this summer, after the Battle of the Imports day at the dragstrip in June, heh-heh.

I have hit [email protected] in 5th, 60mph is 3500.

·
Registered
650 Posts

hey bryan, are you gonna run at the may battle? were you the grey Z that ran at the last one? i would really like to talk to you about what your running and have run, have seen other Z's run at battle. im trying to have my Z done by battle also so that i can run. -ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.