ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 83 2+2 turbo Zx. I was wondering what the stock boost is and what is the max boost i can run. i just had the motor rebuilt and the mechanic said my boost was real low and i should turn it up a little. I just don't want to pay him to do it if i can at home. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Adam Gilbert
Redline Autosports

·
Registered
74 Posts
RE: How much boost can i run?

without a intercooler...just stock motor with turbo the stock setting is about 4-6psi..you could get away with maybe about 7-8 psi but no more...now...you could add a intercooler and kick the boost up to about 10 or 12. I all depends on you pockets.....how deep are they.

Happy Z-ing

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: Everyone with a turbo knows.

Get a variable boost controller or drill another hole in your waste-gate actuator rod. Manual controller for low cost, electronic for better control. A manual one can be bought for 69.99 from Top-End performance. It bleeds off boost before it gets to the waste-gate so the gate won't open as soon and yields higher boost. You can drill a hole in the actuator rod next to the hole that the waste-gate is using (behind as in closer to the vacuum actuator), but place the new hole just far enough to allow structural rigidity. About an 8th of an inch. Check that the gate will open without the rod stopping the movement. I had to grind my rod flat where it stopped movement. This took me 30 minutes. You will have to take the heat shield off and the actuator which only means 6 bolts. Even if you don't have higher ultimate boost this will give more initial boost as the waste-gate won't start to open until much later. This give low end power.
The electronic boost controllers are supposed to be the best but run hundreds more. They have better control over the waste-gate. Haven't used one. This ought to get you started but remember that your pop off valve will still be opening at 7 psi. Which shouldn't be a problem as you are going to detonate unless you intercool the car. Absolutely. \good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Heres the deal I'm not telling you to do this but.... If your timing is set to factory specs its pretty hard to get it to pre detonate. This is from experience not what I heard. Also the factory pop off valve is set to 5 psi not seven you have to get an aftermarket adjustable to get more then 5. goodluck

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Or you can wire it shut !The blow-off valve that is.But be careful be cause you can over boost the motor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.