Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RE: How many vin number location on ZX?

There is a number stamped into the firewall directly to the rear of the rocker arm cover. I can't remember if it's the model number or VIN. It's kinda hard to see you may have to wipe it off to see it.

Bob A.

·
Premium Member
40,975 Posts
RE: How many vin number location on ZX?

3, as far as I know, in the positions already indicated. I just sawzalled my 83 to bits and found no hidden VIN's, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

·
Premium Member
40,975 Posts
Don't worry, be happy!

Mostly high-line vehicles have the hiden VIN's, usually underneath in an area that involves cutting. Like I said: I sawzalled mine, and in pieces less than 2 foot square, I didn't see any numbers.
Remember, swappings VIN's is a big NO-NO, it's a federal rap on top of any state infractions. Why do you ask? I have seen cars that have THREE different VIN's on them! Talk about a pain to register!!! I almost bought a car at lein, but saw no VIN on the firewall--a little scraping removed the bondo and revealed a VIN different than the dash, door, and engine plate. Had to have the chassis verified and turned in all the other plates for destruction. HEY- it was a rust-free 71 CA car for $125. With a Japanese 5-speed in the hatch! Suffer...

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<b>RE: How many vin number location on ZX?</b>

found another ID plate behind the battery. that makes four, so far?

Tom H.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<b>RE: Don't worry, be happy!</b>

Tony
You sure about vin number on the engine plate somewhere on the engine?
Tom H.

·
Premium Member
40,975 Posts
RE: Don't worry, be happy!

by engine plate I meant the plate on the strut tower on older cars. on a 280zxt you are correct, it's behind the battery and held in place with plastic rivits--total of four. I forgot! Same sort of plate.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<b>RE: Don't worry, be happy! Reply to Why do you

Same sort of reasoning . Trying to find out if there are any different vin numbers in other locations. Zero out of four-- they'er all same.
Tom H.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<b>RE:All hail the great and powerful Oz!</b>

...I mean Tony. So what to do about a ruined dash that needs to be completely replaced? Dare I remove the VIN plate and re-attatch it to the new dash? Hypothetically speaking, of course. ;)

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.