ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 76z is unmodified and I was wondering at what point can a z in good running condition rev and still feel acceleration. my 76z runs well with 118k miles but really I cant feel it pulling away after 3500 rpms. the engine seems to just rev and make no difference in speed. Ive never had my car over 4000rpms, should I be able to? any guidance is much appreciated.

·
Registered
996 Posts
RE: how high can na76z rev and still pull?

Stock Z's are designed to rev to 6000 rpm but they don't make much power over 5500. If your car doesn't pull over 3500 then something is wrong. Even stock the cars powerband is really from 3000 - 5500 rpm. Is your car and automatic or stick? Reving over 4000 won't hurt the Z as long as you are getting the right amounts of air/fuel and have oil in it. The engines are really tough especially when driven within the stock parameters.

Later
Matt

·
Registered
1,770 Posts

Mike, There are some things that will cause a motor that "should" pull strong to 5.5K to start to make more noise than power after a lower RPM. For one thing if your valves are poorly adjusted. Another thing is if your timing chain has stretched or if your cam gear was placed on a different then stock setting. All of these things related to the timing chain will change "where" the engine makes its power. It isn't unreasonable to expect a Z with miles to have poorly adjusted valves or a timing chain that is stretched. Check it out.

·
Registered
251 Posts

Also check the condition of your ignition system. A new coil will work wonders( if the rest of the system is ok).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.