ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do the new ones mount good on an 82 turbo??do i have to put it somewhere special?i have no idea.help.i haven't pick one up yet,should i or go with something else.thanks

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
RE: hks blow off valve ???i'm stupid

Spend the money somewhere else if you are still stock. For future reference they go installed anywhere between the turbo outlet and the throttle body. Relieves excess boost pressure on the turbo when the throttle is suddenly closed under boost condition. Prolongs the life of the bearings in a turbo. Kind of an import fad. Who has the biggest exhaust tip, who has the loudest blowoff valve, etc. They have their place, but not in a stock car. Put the money towards a better air filter or exhaust system. Notice I said exhaust system and not exhaust tip. Who's trying to sell you on the need for a blowoff valve?
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>RE: hks blow off valve ???i'm stupid</b>

thanks for the advise.
my 82zx is going in a 240.

i have a better air filter and exhaust and i plan to put a intercooler in it as soonas i find one.so would an blow off valve be a good idea?or is it a waste of money.i have a gadgit that controls the boost.and i have this Jacobs ignition system that i got with the car.this is sappose to control the revs,timing and boost is this garbage? i don't know.what else could i do to make it run better?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GOOD IDEA ! blow off valve !

anytime you go turning the boost up over the stock setting you should always have some sort of emergency relief air valve. All turbo charged vehicles that I have seen have always had a pop off air valve(ZXT) if not a blow off valve(Saab, Starion, DSM). Let me just give you the short explanation why you should have one or the other. Let's say your driving, you have the boost turned up to 9psi, all the sudden the waste gate sticks and it just keeps on boosting up to 20psi. Just think of what that could do to your motor. This can happen if your boost controller malfunctions or a line gets crimped or whatever. Not a good thing. And yes it can happen. I would pick up a Blitz blow off valve, they are about $160 or so. You will need to custom mount a flange to the tube between your throttle and your turbo or if you have and intercooler between the IC outlet and the throttle body. This way there is less chance of back lash on the turbo and less chance of boost spikes that may occur even when your system is working properly. Good luck!
Later,
Tim Deesen
71' 240ZT
73' 240ZT(summer project)
CA "TS 240ZT"

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
RE: GOOD IDEA ! blow off valve !

Tim Deesen TS240ZT wrote:
-------------------------------
anytime you go turning the boost up over the stock setting you should always have some sort of emergency relief air valve. All turbo charged vehicles that I have seen have always had a pop off air valve(ZXT) if not a blow off valve(Saab, Starion, DSM). Let me just give you the short explanation why you should have one or the other. Let's say your driving, you have the boost turned up to 9psi, all the sudden the waste gate sticks and it just keeps on boosting up to 20psi. Just think of what that could do to your motor. This can happen if your boost controller malfunctions or a line gets crimped or whatever. Not a good thing. And yes it can happen. I would pick up a Blitz blow off valve, they are about $160 or so. You will need to custom mount a flange to the tube between your throttle and your turbo or if you have and intercooler between the IC outlet and the throttle body. This way there is less chance of back lash on the turbo and less chance of boost spikes that may occur even when your system is working properly. Good luck!
Later,
Tim Deesen
71' 240ZT
73' 240ZT(summer project)
CA "TS 240ZT"

The stock turbo manifold has a pop off valve, but you will have to replace it or remove it when you turn up boost. You can get an adjustable one to replace the stock one. the stock type mounted in the manifold only works to "save" the motor in overboost situations. It won't do anything to prolong the life of the turbo. The style that mounts in the intake tract, before the throttle body, will vent off excess pressure when you let off the throttle. Like during shifts. When you let off to shift under boost conditions the pressurized air has nowhere to go except back out the turbo. That causes the turbo to "shudder" from the air reversing back out. The blowoff valves prevent this by venting the excess pressure into the atmosphere. A good safety device, but it won't add any performance. If you are looking to spend money on performance this won't be the place to spend the $200. For $200 I'd spend the money on a stock type adjustable valve (if you want one) and a good boost gauge.
greg
71 240z

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.