Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
What about that IC piping heat-transfer many people brag about? I hears it on numerious ocasions - " Ohhhhh, you would want to have as much heat transfer in your cooling pipes as possible." Why in **** would I want that?

I would assume it is best to keep air inside piping as cool as possible. Now they say that it is good to let that air to become warmer? That sounds strange!!! I wanted to get some heat-insulation and wrap my pipes but people gave me that BS about pipes. Wyhat is up with that?

Eugene '83ZXT

·
Registered
69 Posts
RE: Heat-transfer? Why in **** i want it?

Hi Eugene,
Hehehe, by saying heat-tranfer I mean heat will be tranfer from the IC pipes outward. As you probably already know, the main purpose for the IC is to cool down the air comming out from the compressor housing, so if you can somehow transfer this heat outside before it reaches the IC then it does some good. The same should be said for the IC pipe that goes from the IC to the intake manifold, if you think that the outside temp. is higher than the temp. of the air coming out from the IC, then you should do something to insulate it (wrapping like you mentioned above)- you dont want to reheat this air after it is already cooled down by going through the IC. Another big advantage of using aluminum that I forgot to mention before is weight ( just hold an aluminum pipe on one hand and steel on the other with the same ID. and you know what I mean). But by going with aluminum you probably will incease the cost of IC pipes about three times. Hope this helps. Bye Eugene.
Huy 260Z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>I kinda agree with that.</b>

Weight is a defenat factor to use alluminium. Of course there is a price tag! Each peice of my piping was ~$80 a pop and there were at least 5-6 of those.

About transfering heat outward. Do not you think that is is pretty hot under the hood of our turboed L28? I would think so. So, in my understanding there is nowhere to transfer heat since it is already hot out there and it only make pipes hotter. So, insulation is a benefit in any case.

Makes sence?
Eugene

·
Premium Member
40,975 Posts
RE: I kinda agree with that.

leave the pite to the I/C uninsulated--the turbo outlet air temp is usually abofe 200 degrees.
Insulate the piping as it enters the engine compartment coming back from the I/C. Chanses are, even if you have a GOOD I/C, the air temp back from it will still be 9-14 degrees higher than ambient, so leaving it uninsulated where it's exposed to lower temp air will let heat transfer, but I wouldn't expect any great cooling from piping transfer. It can pick up a few degrees, though, from underhood temps since they are considerably higher.

·
Registered
69 Posts
RE: I kinda agree with that.

Yah, I agree with it too. I have this problem that every time I think about turbo I think about my Celica alltrac turbo and the IC pipes routing in that car is totally diff. than the Z's. Anyway, you are absolutely right in this case.
Huy 260Z

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.