ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is another "trick" for Z's (sorry for posting 2 in one day but I'm bored and feel like typing to keep awake.) ;-)
if you have a 70-83 Z this may help you get the extra clearance for a front tower brace if you need it. I figured this out because I have a custom made stainless steel front tower brace and it uses a 1.5" dia bar accross the engine bay. There is a spacer between the mounts on the engine and the mounts on the front crossmember. It is a flat piece of steel with curved ends and has some kind of rubber blocks attached to it. I'm not sure if all the Z cars have them. My Z was completely original when I got it and it had them. (78 280z) I simply disconnected the engine mount bolts (4) and used a hoist to lift the engine an inch or two so I could pull them out. I have had no ill effects since I did this 4 years ago. I gave me a 1/4 - 1/2 inch more clearance. I can slip a finger between the valve cover and the bar, and the hood closes just fine.
So if your tower brace needs a bit more clearance you may want to try this. As a side effect it also lowered the center of gravity a tiny bit though I doubt if I could see any benifit on my track times.
Just my $.02
ZR8ED.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>Insomiacs unite!</b>

Watching Cartoon Network and typing in zcar.com. at 12:30 am. glad I don't work tomorrow-or-today. Whatever. Thanks for the tip, but I wonder why those things are there if they have no ill effect upon removal.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>RE: Insomiacs/ night shift unite!</b>

I don't know about you but I'm here at work and I still have 3hrs left before I can leave. Its 3:47 am here. I can type pretty good for this time of night eh? Can't wait to get out of here, catch a few winks then get up and maybe attempt to install my now solid diff mount. I had it welded up this weekend. I have been driving around with a broken diff mount all this season, so I can't drive it hard, and I have mostly left it parked for fear of doing some real damage. Darn hp..hehehehe... ;-P
ZR8ED

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<b>My condolences</b>

Sorry to hear you're at work, although I must say it's pretty cool that you can be goofing in web sights at work. I'm not so fortunate. Let me know what you think of the solid diff. mount. I do alot of autocrossing and am planning on getting one. And I must say I know how you feel, I need to reaplace a U-joint on the main drive shaft. I'm going into withdralls from not being able to light up my tires for fear of the drive shaft breaking loose.
Good luck!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<b>RE: Having trouble with tower braces?</b>

I shall soon be installing a nice muscular engine into my 83 and I shall try this nifty mod to give me that extra clearance because my bar rubs on the pcv valve. Thanks for the tip!

·
Premium Member
40,971 Posts
that part is a heat shield...

the part you removed is a heat shield/grease deflector. Supposed to keep radiated heat from softening the oil/grease impregnated motor mount causing premature failure. Pulled mine off years ago, no problems yet, but I do jack the motor around on a regular basis to check the condition of the mounting rubber. See also my old post about "polyurethane motor/trans mounts" once they go in, no mor worries about oil impregnated rubber (or hearing for that matter--must make some noise with hard mounts...)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.