ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My z has the wheel wells up in front with huge rusted out holes every where plus the area under the batery tray is pretty trashed the other side is the same way. Plus the frame rail which inserts into the mount for the tension rod is shot its pretty much severed.I want all this strong again so i can put an all new suspension on it.How do i go about fixing allthese holes and frame rails?this car was an illinois car and it was driven in the winter daily thats why it is so bad. The car still seems pretty solid going down the road though and i am romping on the car, you would think it would of fell apart.THe body was pretty bad to but i have fiberglass body panels that i will be putting on it.I dont want to get rid of the car because i really like it. I would really appreciate any feedback from anyone who has repaired these areas on there Z. Thanks dave

·
Registered
287 Posts
RE: Has anyone ever fixed a rusty z unibody?

man sounds like its got a lot of problems.

why not just find a solid car that isn't running and drop all of your goodies in there, especially if you already have the fiberglass panels.

i'm sure the other people on this forum know better than i do, but that just sounds like an awful amount of work, when you could probably call around and find a solid car down south or somewhere west.

however if you want to weld the wick humble book has a section on this. (how to restore your Z)

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>Good Book.... and a Happy Ending too</b>

I really like that book....even tho the paint pictures were lost at the developers....

Dennis

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Anything can be done. It's all a matter of money. But consider this:

For the amount of money and time you would invest to make your car reasonabley right (and any experienced person will ALWAYS be able to tell), you could book yourself a nice vacation to Texas, Arizona, or California, find yourself a solid Z (Try the Recycler Ad Newspaper in L.A., or Photo Buys anywhere), buy it for anywhere from $500 to $2000 (I bought my '72 for $200 at a wrecking yard w/o carbs, distributor, or fusebox), throw-away your return ticket (Air or Bus depending on budget) and drive your new car home!

And then the fun begins. Combine the best of both cars and keep the remaining parts for spares. You'll still be kind of driving your old car - at least in spirit anyway.

Good luck,

John M

·
Registered
996 Posts

John M, has the best answer to your question by far. My first Z ended up having way more rust than I initially thought, at the time I was inexperienced with Z's and didn't know what to look for. I ended up doing exactly as John said and have built several very nice Z's for alot less money. By the time you have all that structural rust removed and new metal fabricated and welded or purchase patch panels you could have a tube chassis made for the same money. It will be very expensive, you could easily by 2 or 3 solid Z's for what the repairs alone will cost.

Later
Matt

·
Registered
996 Posts

John M, has the best answer to your question by far. My first Z ended up having way more rust than I initially thought, at the time I was inexperienced with Z's and didn't know what to look for. I ended up doing exactly as John said and have built several very nice Z's for alot less money. By the time you have all that structural rust removed and new metal fabricated and welded or purchase patch panels you could have a tube chassis made for the same money. It will be very expensive, you could easily by 2 or 3 solid Z's for what the repairs alone will cost.

Later
Matt

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

Unfortunately , it sounds like your on your way to
having a parts car soon. When you start to rot out
by the tension rods he car will soon become too
unsafe to drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.