ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for recommendations for an upgrade. I want a couple of options for rotors, calipers, pads, etc. If possible, can you include cost estimates for each component?

Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
RE: Front Brake Upgrade

One I have seen around on a regular basis is using 4 piston calipers off a '79-'83 Toyota 4x4. They are pretty much a direct swap. I am currently (started last night, finishing tonight after work) doing this, as well as adding cross drilled rotors while I am at it.

I read a faq somewhere (i'll have to find it), there is an upgrade where you can use the vented rotors of a 84 300zx w/ ~88 Toyota Land Criuser calipers...

Brett

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
RE: Front Brake Upgrade

The most common brake upgrade to a Z is switching to the Toyota 4x4 front calipers from 79-83. It is a 4 piston caliper vs the single piston caliper that your Z came stock with. I plan to do this to my Z. This does not require changing rotors, only trimming the dust shield a bit. Go ahead and use the stainless steel braid lines also. BTW I use Motul racing brake fluid in my car along with Metal Master pads, no fade no boil.

Ken

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<b>Aluminum RX-7 4 piston caliper</b>

I purchased a pair of aluminum RX-7 4 piston calipers from my local Pick-n-Pull for $12 per caliper. I fabricated a test bracket out of a rectangular piece of 3/8" 4140. Took about 30 minutes on my drill press. I have the spacing correct and was simple. I have also got a pair of 84 300zx non-turbo vented rotors for $50 from another yard that are a direct boltup to the early Z. I only lack to put on the rotor and determine if I have the correct offset for the caliper with respect to the rotor. From my crude calculations, the offset should be perfect. I will mount the rotors tomorrow and see if my calcs were correct. This conversion has been a piece of cake so far. And the best thing is the calipers are aluminum instead of Cast Iron which has alot of weight. I will keep you informed.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RE: Aluminum RX-7 4 piston caliper

I have a friend that has a 86 parts rx-7 .Do you know if these are the same as the 89 four pistons calipers? I think he said that they were only two piston.His 89 is 4 pistons.I could get them for free ,He wants me to help him put a trans in his 89.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Been done b4 on 510's

This RX-7 swap has been done before. It was on a 510, so I'm sure it's more of a direct bolt up on a 280ZX compared to the 240-280, since the 510 shares a similar front suspension.

As far as offset is concerned, if the RX-7 caliper is centered over the same spot as the original 240 caliper, then the 300ZX rotor will not be offset correctly. In order to get the 300ZX to the original spacing, you need at least a 1/2" spacer. This becomes quite obvious once you compare the 300ZX 'hat' section to the 240Z 'hat section. What about brake lines, any problems with that??

Also, I believe the RX-7 4 piston aluminum calipers came on the Turbo versions only. The 2nd gen RX-7's aren't exactly common in Pick-n-Pulls around here yet.

Good luck with the swap.

240Dave

240z turbo wrote:
-------------------------------
I purchased a pair of aluminum RX-7 4 piston calipers from my local Pick-n-Pull for $12 per caliper. I fabricated a test bracket out of a rectangular piece of 3/8" 4140. Took about 30 minutes on my drill press. I have the spacing correct and was simple. I have also got a pair of 84 300zx non-turbo vented rotors for $50 from another yard that are a direct boltup to the early Z. I only lack to put on the rotor and determine if I have the correct offset for the caliper with respect to the rotor. From my crude calculations, the offset should be perfect. I will mount the rotors tomorrow and see if my calcs were correct. This conversion has been a piece of cake so far. And the best thing is the calipers are aluminum instead of Cast Iron which has alot of weight. I will keep you informed.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<b>The reason it worked on the 510.</b>

The reason that guy was able to bolt it up to his 510 was because he used the whole spindle section from the RX-7. Use the suspension from a Toyata Supra and many other major mods. It is in no way a direct boltup to any Datsun that I am aware of. The calipers were not limited to turbo models, atleast the car I got mine from was not a turbo, but it does need to be I believe an 88 or 89 model. As far as the 1" offset between the 300zx and 240 rotors works out to a great advantage in mounting these RX-7 calipers. I should be finished by this weekend and I will post pics of the conversion and give dimensions for the brackets I made. Hopefully my leg work will go a long way for helping others stop their Zs.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
RE: Ken-where did you get Metal Master Pads?

Got them from Alamo Autosport in Arlington Texas. I live right around the corner from them.

Ken

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.