ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used pair of european tail lights for my 73z and cant figure out what to do about the wiring. The Motorsport cataloge says "minor wiring required" Can anyone help out please? The brake and turn signal uses the same green wire. What to do?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RE: euro tail light wiring HELP!!!

Hi Mike,

In the stock situation, there is one wire (green/black) feeding the right turn signal/brake lights
and one (green red) feeding the left. The turn signal switch handles the job of deciding whether the light should be on or flashing.

What you need to do is to disconnect the brake light bulbs (the inner ones) from the outer ones (just cut the wire off) and run a new wire (actually, I used one of the original speaker wires, 'cause I ran new ones for the stereo) to BOTH brake light bulbs. That's it for the back.

Now go under the dash. There are two green/yellow wires that go to the brake light switch. One of them comes from the hazard switch and carries 12 volts when the hazard switch is off. Leave this one alone. The other wire goes to the turn signal switch. Disconnect this one from the brake light switch and connect a wire from the (now) empty terminal of the brake light switch to the new wire (or old speaker wire or whatever) going to the brake lights.

And that's all there is to it.

For what it's worth, I added a Toyota Corolla door switch (same vintage as when Chev sold it as a Nova) on the taillight panel just outside the hatch weatherstripping and used the other ex-speaker wire to connect it to the passenger door switch lead. Now my dome light comes on when I open the hatch. Just had to use up that other wire. Somehow it offended me just hanging around unused!!

E-mail me privately if you need more help.

Pat

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: Does this go for '78?

Hi

Live in Sweden and has a 1978. The turn signal has been relocated to separate
bulbs mounted on the bumper (Looks they've been sitting on a trailer or something, this is only due to some old legislation where red turn signals were okay all over the world, but not in Sweden)

I now wanna rewire it back to the original full taillight turn signal.
Have the Haynes wiring diagram, but no microscope to read it...
and the wiring is very tight behind the rear consoles.

(Car sold new stateside, in Florida, imported here in mid-eihgties.)

Suggestions?

Regards Marten Carlsson

·
Premium Member
40,971 Posts
Do you want the rest of that corona?

It's sitting in my backyard-
Blue, 1966 Toyota Corona.
I don't want to EVEN get into how it got back there...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.