ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my daughter's '78 coupe up on jack stands for about 9 months while working on the body. I changed the oil and tried to start it. At first it just cranked and cranked but would not fire. I changed the gas and charged the battery.

When I tried it again, it fired and ran for a few seconds. I expected this. When I tried again, it cranked for a few seconds and then just went click, like the battery was completely drained. I turned the ignition switch and noticed that the volt meter was reading eight volts with the switch off! and every five seconds or so, it would read zero volts for one second then go back to eight.

Other information: the tail lights did not work when the car was put up on the stands. So I have removed all the side marker lights from the car as well as disconnected the tail lights. This may be irrelavent because none of these items would have a "timer" in them.

What do you guys think is causing the problem?

Lee

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RE: Electrical problem

I have a 1974 260z that the brake lights wont work. I think my probelm is the hot wire to the ignition switch has a short. That wire controls all your hot leads. Try this and see if this helps. Thanks Marvin

Lee of Lemont wrote:
-------------------------------
I've had my daughter's '78 coupe up on jack stands for about 9 months while working on the body. I changed the oil and tried to start it. At first it just cranked and cranked but would not fire. I changed the gas and charged the battery.

When I tried it again, it fired and ran for a few seconds. I expected this. When I tried again, it cranked for a few seconds and then just went click, like the battery was completely drained. I turned the ignition switch and noticed that the volt meter was reading eight volts with the switch off! and every five seconds or so, it would read zero volts for one second then go back to eight.

Other information: the tail lights did not work when the car was put up on the stands. So I have removed all the side marker lights from the car as well as disconnected the tail lights. This may be irrelavent because none of these items would have a "timer" in them.

What do you guys think is causing the problem?

Lee

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.